Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dylscoop  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2020 12:51:24(UTC)
dylscoop

Hi All, 

I am looking for advice on how long an indivudual can wear a masks/respirator? We have a variety of masks (FFP2, FFP3, N95, KN95). The masks have the EN149:2001 code on them. I am not sure where the mask have been made as they have been purchased from a procurement department in the USA. 

My finding show that masks seem to last for a shift, which is generally 8 hours, however I have alos seen that masks only last 4 hours. 

Our masks are used in an office based environment where there is at least a 2 meter distance to others. 

Thanks

Dylan 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2020 13:27:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

The box / packaging should have the instructions for use and limitations printed on them.

If not it is possible the items are counterfeit.

The products are subject to fit test no matter where they are used.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2020 13:27:04(UTC)
Roundtuit

The box / packaging should have the instructions for use and limitations printed on them.

If not it is possible the items are counterfeit.

The products are subject to fit test no matter where they are used.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2020 13:27:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Masks are only to protect people from a hazard ie they are classed as PPE and need face fit testing. They should only be supplied to people that need then ie those working with patients in a care or healthcare situation, not an office

Face coverings, to stop people spreading the virus, are a possible option if you can’t social distance.

If you are social distancing you don’t need anything else.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 18/05/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2020 13:49:35(UTC)
Kate

Indeed UK government guidance on this is:

Workplaces should not encourage the precautionary use of extra PPE to protect against COVID-19 outside clinical settings or when responding to a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres

dylscoop  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2020 14:25:43(UTC)
dylscoop

Thanks all, 

I agree with you all that we should not be wearing masks as per local guidlines however what I failed to mention is that we have a warehouse that most staff will go into that has many drugs, vacines, samples etc. and our driver deliver life saving medication to the NHS and patients homes. 

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2020 15:21:40(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The drugs etc should be packaged so that they can be handled without contaminating the contents. If there is a concern the users can give the packaging a wipe to decontaminate the paging before opening it. Can’t see how it might affect your office workers .

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 19/05/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2020 07:29:07(UTC)
Kate

Valved masks only protect the wearer from breathing in contaminated air, they don't filter what they breathe out.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/05/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2020 19:52:26(UTC)
Mark-W

But then you look at this webpage and then it advocates re use of face masks. I'm still very much of the opinion that masks should not be reused at all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control/managing-shortages-in-personal-protective-equipment-ppe

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2020 08:34:03(UTC)
HSSnail

Thansk for the link Mark - i heard runners about reusing but could not find the source. This still looks to be about clinical situations, where PPE is definatly required. So much guidance at the moment its a knightmare trying to keep up.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Mark-W on 27/05/2020(UTC)