Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Djackson89  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2020 11:42:41(UTC)
Djackson89

Hi All,

I am looking to implement a behavioural safety awareness programme, focussing on situational awareness.

Has anyone been involved with any innovative programmes, and would be willing to share some ideas with me or can you reccomend any influential speakers, preferably with a personal story.

The outcome of this programme is to improve general awareness, and to promote SLAM techniques.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Dom

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2020 08:19:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Am I being a bit dim but what does this actually mean?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 18/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2020 11:30:53(UTC)
Wailes900134

There’s a chap in the Westminster area who has a reputation for engaging speeches and a rather unconvincing Churchill impression who’s making great progress on promoting “awareness” and it’s merits in things as challenging as a viral pandemic, of which he had personal experience. I believe he has a teatime slot on tv most days.
thanks 3 users thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC), Swygart25604 on 18/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
aud  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2020 20:08:59(UTC)
aud

"Situational awareness . . is a learned skill of developing your attention levels, of perceptive profiling of people, environmental elements and events within a specific time and space, in order to make informed decisions in a short space of time". 

My search also revealed the HSE have got into this SLAM and 'situational awareness'  palaver: https://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/lwit/assets/downloads/situational-awareness.pdf

Boils down to 'stay awake and keep concentrating'. I don't know how you make that happen, even less how you 'train' people to do it. We all know if you daydream or get distracted in the middle of an important task (driving for example) things can go awry. Knowing it doesn't stop it happening. 

I have no suggestion as to how you instil this into workers, especially those who are just there to do a job then go home. The HSE don't really suggest anything tangible other than a take on the 'Look, assess, decide" (old-school driver training).

The more 'exciting' the situation, the more awake people tend to be! Probably not helpful.

thanks 2 users thanked aud for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 18/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 19/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2020 20:43:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not the first hit on Google - Simultaneous localization and mapping, or SLAM for short, is the process of creating a map using a robot or unmanned vehicle that navigates that environment while using the map it generates.

Don't you just love acronyms - the four letter being worse than the three

Those exposed to 5's or similar will know this activity as a Gemba Walk

Edited by user 18 May 2020 20:45:34(UTC)  | Reason: acronyms

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2020 20:43:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not the first hit on Google - Simultaneous localization and mapping, or SLAM for short, is the process of creating a map using a robot or unmanned vehicle that navigates that environment while using the map it generates.

Don't you just love acronyms - the four letter being worse than the three

Those exposed to 5's or similar will know this activity as a Gemba Walk

Edited by user 18 May 2020 20:45:34(UTC)  | Reason: acronyms

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2020 21:08:51(UTC)
Wailes900134

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
Not the first hit on Google -Simultaneous localization and mapping, or SLAM for short, is the process of creating a map using a robot or unmanned vehicle that navigates that environment while using the map it generates.Don't you just love acronyms - the four letter being worse than the threeThose exposed to 5's or similar will know this activity as a Gemba Walk
Top marks for tenacity Roundtuit! So Dom is looking for someone to help inspire people to do safety walks like a robot... I’ve seen a few over the years... I would be aiming a bit higher but there are lots of people out there with Snake Oil for that ailment.
thanks 1 user thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
RVThompson  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2020 06:28:08(UTC)
RVThompson

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2020 08:30:04(UTC)
Wailes900134

Originally Posted by: RVThompson Go to Quoted Post
This looks like the place, although on the HSE’s page specifically dedicated to acronyms SLAM isn’t listed... but it does fit with the question asked in the first place...I think... Dom, as the SLAM approach is aimed at small companies (distilled PDCA for those with small/no management structure as such) it would help to understand a bit more about Your situation and the intervention you seek some suggestions for? My experience is that where there is a distinction between top management (who set the direction and allocate the resources) and the local mngt (Those who have to align with that direction and utilise the resources) then focussing on the workers first gives an output that looks/feels great for a while but fails to sustain and often causes other problems. I see from your profile that we’re probably in the same branch but as there are no physical meetings currently I’m happy to discuss the examples I’ve seen over the years further, if you want to private message to arrange?
thanks 1 user thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
Djackson89 on 20/05/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2020 15:48:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I can smell the American approach to employee management. Train them up in a list of acronyms so that if they don’t follow the procedures that have been drafted by expensive  consultants and they get hurt it’s their fault not ours!

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 19/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), toe on 27/05/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2020 16:31:26(UTC)
Wailes900134

Let’s hope not. Presumably Dom could have found an array of those options without coming here...
Djackson89  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2020 19:50:01(UTC)
Djackson89

Hi all, Thank you for your responses and apologies for my delay in getting here. It made quite a cheery read this evening! Certainly no american approach, I'm part of of a large organisation that has a good management system and processes, however incident stats seem to indicate lapses of concentration. SLAM techniques sounds similar to the STAR (stop think act review) forms I've completed when I was on the tools. I suppose yes I'm trying to think of some ideas on how this can be recognised and promoted within a programme to shift behaviours. A inspirational speaker would be great although not convinced about this Westminster chap you refer too... Best regards Dom
Djackson89  
#13 Posted : 20 May 2020 15:45:41(UTC)
Djackson89

Originally Posted by: Wailes900134 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RVThompson Go to Quoted Post
This looks like the place, although on the HSE’s page specifically dedicated to acronyms SLAM isn’t listed... but it does fit with the question asked in the first place...I think... Dom, as the SLAM approach is aimed at small companies (distilled PDCA for those with small/no management structure as such) it would help to understand a bit more about Your situation and the intervention you seek some suggestions for? My experience is that where there is a distinction between top management (who set the direction and allocate the resources) and the local mngt (Those who have to align with that direction and utilise the resources) then focussing on the workers first gives an output that looks/feels great for a while but fails to sustain and often causes other problems. I see from your profile that we’re probably in the same branch but as there are no physical meetings currently I’m happy to discuss the examples I’ve seen over the years further, if you want to private message to arrange?

Hi Wailes900134, following on from our call a minute ago, I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your help and support on the forum and afterwards. I really appreciate it. Speak to you soon, Dom.

O'Donnell54548  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2020 16:30:38(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Why, whenever there is a question on behavioural safety programmes, does it always boil down to “how can we change employees actions to what we want, without us having to do anything?”.
thanks 2 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Djackson89  
#15 Posted : 20 May 2020 16:48:07(UTC)
Djackson89

Originally Posted by: O' Go to Quoted Post
Why, whenever there is a question on behavioural safety programmes, does it always boil down to “how can we change employees actions to what we want, without us having to do anything?”.
Im sorry but apart from adding no value to this thread, you are wrong if you think that is the intention of my question.
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 20 May 2020 19:53:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Djackson89 Go to Quoted Post
you are wrong if you think that is the intention of my question.

Dom you may personally have good intentions, unfortunately over many many years regular readers and posters on these forums note an unfortunate tendency for the "Us and Them" mentallity whereby the word of the professional practitioner is unquestionable (especially amongst the recently qualified and the new in post) and the reason the metrics are not right is down to everyone elsein the organisation.

It could for example never ever be the managements fault the workers are ever distracted in their work space (despite the constant bombardment with messages of faster, better, cheaper.....)?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 22/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 22/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#17 Posted : 20 May 2020 19:53:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

you are wrong if you think that is the intention of my question.

Dom you may personally have good intentions, unfortunately over many many years regular readers and posters on these forums note an unfortunate tendency for the "Us and Them" mentallity whereby the word of the professional practitioner is unquestionable (especially amongst the recently qualified and the new in post) and the reason the metrics are not right is down to everyone elsein the organisation.

It could for example never ever be the managements fault the workers are ever distracted in their work space (despite the constant bombardment with messages of faster, better, cheaper.....)?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 22/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC), Wailes900134 on 22/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#18 Posted : 20 May 2020 20:42:31(UTC)
Wailes900134

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post
Im sorry but apart from adding no value to this thread, you are wrong if you think that is the intention of my question.

For what it's worth (and I accept that varies greatly with the recipient) I followed this thread from the begining and I believe he was looking for help rather than condemnation... This should be a safe place for help should it not...? 

thanks 2 users thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
stevedm on 21/05/2020(UTC), Connor35037 on 21/05/2020(UTC)
Tessie  
#19 Posted : 21 May 2020 15:06:10(UTC)
Tessie

Hi....check out theatreatwork.ie and you may find something similiar within your own locality. Really fantastic, well received by all persons of all levels within an organisation. Highly adaptable and informative. 

All the best! 

A Kurdziel  
#20 Posted : 22 May 2020 08:17:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Not condemning anyone I just don’t understand what he wants. From the sound of it “situational awareness” means somehow teaching people to be aware of their surrounding and thus avoid getting hurt.  This sounds great in theory but how do you do it? Is as simple as telling people not use their mobiles while driving plant and hold onto handrails when ascending stairs etc or is there something else which I have missed which will enable people to fully use their cognitive abilities to stay out of trouble. If there is why doesn’t everybody use and why isn’t taught to children in primary school and drivers and cyclists and anybody else. Its obscurity makes me think that it is some sort of management tool to pass the buck and they will only get way with it in certain workplace environments.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
aud on 22/05/2020(UTC), Kate on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#21 Posted : 24 May 2020 14:28:45(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Trying to reply to your original question of 'Teaching situational awareness' is difficult, to say the least. 

I'm ex-forces, when I was working in Iraq, death was always just around the corner.  Now I work in construction and I am still looking out for that idiot who could ruin my day.  I still do silly things, even when I'm 'switched on', fact of life. 

Incidentally, common sense does not exist. 

Edited by user 24 May 2020 14:30:26(UTC)  | Reason: last line

thanks 2 users thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
Kate on 26/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#22 Posted : 26 May 2020 06:26:22(UTC)
Kate

The human brain just isn't capable of having us be alert, focused and concentrated every moment of the working day.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/05/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#23 Posted : 26 May 2020 08:42:11(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If we are using the “Swiss Cheese” model then situational awareness is just one very thin and very holey slice. Of its own it will, in my opinion, add very little to improving the H&S setting of any organisation. A while back we had an epidemic of students injuring themselves with syringe needles. They needed to learn how to use syringes and so we laid on a class where they could practice the safe use of syringes. All it did was lead to more syringe injuries. As someone said this is really difficult. The question you need to ask is it really worth it or is it just something that you can tick off a list?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 26/05/2020(UTC)