Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gbbakerp  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2020 07:27:50(UTC)
gbbakerp

Sorry if this has been asked before, but new to the forums.

Most of the asbestos awareness training is based around recognising there is different types of asbestos and if workers are going to disturb it they need to do much deeper training.

For the workers who have asbestos awareness, they are not taught how to identify where asbestos is in the building, the type or the qty.

My concern is that if a worker enters site and a previous contractor has disturbed asbestos without reporting it, how do you keep your workers alert to check for disturbed (possible) asbestos and check the register to see if it does contain asbestos?

Some sub-contractors believe if their engineers have asbestos awareness training they are doing enough to meet legal requirements, but I do not agree.

Phil.

thanks 1 user thanked gbbakerp for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
johnc  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2020 10:58:34(UTC)
johnc

Don't know where you are getting your awareness training from but the Awareness course should cover all your points. I have been doing these courses for over 20 years and have always included the topics you refer to. The HSE website state ' Information, instruction and training about asbestos awareness should cover the following: the properties of asbestos and its effects on health, including the increased risk of developing lung cancer for asbestos workers who smoke the types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos and asbestos materials in buildings and plant the general procedures to deal with an emergency, eg an uncontrolled release of asbestos dust into the workplace how to avoid the risk of exposure to asbestos. Take care JohnC

Edited by user 22 May 2020 11:00:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked johnc for this useful post.
RayRapp on 23/05/2020(UTC)
Djackson89  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2020 11:09:52(UTC)
Djackson89

Hi Phil,

I would suggest that this needs to be captured within your emergency procedures for what your Employees need to do in the event of encountering disturbed asbestos.

Your Employees will undertake awareness training so they have a basic understanding but your procedures give them the detail of what to do in the event of discovering potential asbestos. You will need to train/inform them of the procedure contents and how this effects them, ensuring they have adequate equipment to follow the process e.g. decontamination kits, masks etc.

I would also suggest that as part of your risk assessments, registers and surveys are provided before works commence in an area.

Please remember that PPE/Training is right down the bottom of the hierarchy list of controls. Where applicable, the principle contractor/responsible person for the building should also be inducting your Employees and highlighting these areas and local emergency procedures.

For clarity, no one should be handling, disturbing or touching asbestos unless suitably competent and where applicable, licensed

Kind regards

Dom

Edited by user 22 May 2020 11:21:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added advice

gbbakerp  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2020 13:23:06(UTC)
gbbakerp

Thanks Both,

Thought I was going mad, cheers for the feedback.

Phil.

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2020 14:11:29(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Keep it simple, workers coming onto your site to do a job need to be shown the Asbestos Register, but more importantly, simply read it out to these workers at the begining of the day (the pre-work briefing). 

It really doesn't have to be complicated.  The country has lots of asbestos everywhere, the risk is ongoing in anything older than 20 years.