Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mosh  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2020 22:00:53(UTC)
Mosh

Now that shopping centres will be allowed to reopen, can anyone advise me as to the correct approach in opening the public wc facilities there? Or should they remain closed? Thanks
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2020 22:08:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you have the power to open them = Do!

Too often in recent weeks we see reports of the public behaving in a distinctly uncivilized manner due to a lack of facilities. They will need frequent cleaning along with provision of wipes and sanitiser.

Or you can run the gauntlet of public accidents.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC), Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2020 22:08:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you have the power to open them = Do!

Too often in recent weeks we see reports of the public behaving in a distinctly uncivilized manner due to a lack of facilities. They will need frequent cleaning along with provision of wipes and sanitiser.

Or you can run the gauntlet of public accidents.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC), Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2020 06:35:22(UTC)
stevedm

Not sure you will get a straight answer really...however I can tell you that a lck of facilities in San Diego in 2017 caused an outbreak of hepatitis...studies have also shown that (and we are praticularily suceptable to this in the West) refraining from using the facilities can cause bladder irritaion leading to infection and other digestive problems..especially in the young....so yes open them but the risk assessment and social distancing practices need to be maintained...people are filthhy animals and since everyone thinks it is all over I would advise that in order to comply with social distancing you either shut the toilets to clean them on a regular basis....how practicla that is I don't know but your first thoughts would be to protect your staff...hope this helps.. :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)
Messey  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2020 07:12:06(UTC)
Messey

It seems to me that you either:

1) Control the health risk by opening the WCs and focusing increased cleaning regimes within a relatively small area, or;

2) Allow the public to make their own DIY toilets in quiet areas such as back of house corridors, staircases or loading bays and spend all day allocating the same cleaning staff to chase what the 'offenders'have deposited  - many of whom might not come back, so not a great business move either

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)
BernieGale123  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2020 07:20:05(UTC)
BernieGale123

You risk far worse infections than Covid-19 by keeping toilets closed.

thanks 1 user thanked BernieGale123 for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2020 08:19:16(UTC)
biker1

I think shutting toilets is an appalling thing to do. Apart from answering the call of nature, which will be an urgent matter for many people, if we are to wash our hands regularly, where the hell are we going to do this? I really don't see the problem in operating the same system as is used in small shops - one out, one in. Just needs a member of staff to control it, which will be a far less use of resources than cleaning up after an accident.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Mosh on 02/06/2020(UTC)