Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BernieGale123  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2020 07:54:36(UTC)
BernieGale123

OK tongue in cheek!!T

The COSHH regulations require you to do an assessment for any Biological agents.which your staff may be exposed to while at work Now Covid -19 is a Biological agent.

We are all busy doing risk assessments like good little children as the Government has asked. But have we done our COSHH assessments, especially when you think of some of the questions in the guidance and regulations.

the hazardous properties of the substance?

the circumstances of the work, including the amount of the substance involved;?

Hay this could keep me busy for a few hours

No wonder the HSE has given no guidance! But what cleaver barrister is going to ask for one when an infection occurs at the care home?

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 08:49:19(UTC)
stevedm

...ok I will take that challenge...if you are working with biological agents (COVID-19) to find a cure then you will have to follow the requirements...generally day to day use of COSHH doesn't change...if however I am in law enforcement and tracking down a 'Dark Net' supplier of weaponised CODVID-19 then that changes...so planning the Operation to raid 'suspected' premises...in planning you would carry out the risk assessment which includes the correct PPE (CBRN), personnaly I would have the team base line tested (if there is such a thing) and then isolate them for 10 days afterwards, depending on if there was a release, my own HART Paramedics on standby with defined hot zones decontamination etc...as for the criminals...bung them in a plastic bag (oh sorry it isn't the US we can't shoot them)...I do love having an imagination :)

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 10:43:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There are better things to weaponise than Covid 19.

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 13:21:02(UTC)
HSSnail

Why do you think our risk assessments are not COSHH compliant? Someone with Covid 19 does not come with a hazard data sheet or a warning simble stamped on their head? Dont know what sector you work in but my collegues have potential exposure to mant environmental agents (Limes dieses, Weils disease etc) whic we risk assess all the time - even though we dont know for sure if they are there.

Covid is just another one to add to the list - i agree slightly different in a lab situation but COSHH assessments are just risk assesments, the data sheets exposure limits etc should just help you form your controls.

Dave C  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 16:56:41(UTC)
Dave C

I can't see the requirement for a specific COSHH assessment  as I believe our risk assessment is in essence already addressing this. Just trying to keep it straightforward really. 

stevedm  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2020 10:48:50(UTC)
stevedm

AK yes there are lots more that are better to weaponise than COVID-19 but they don't come with free advertising from every government :)