Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanielThornton  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2020 11:07:35(UTC)
DanielThornton

Good Afternoone everyone,

i have recently been awarded CMIOSH status and have operated in a senior H+S position for around 4 years now (7 years lower experiece too).

i have been looking at completing the MSC in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental management and i was hoping to get some peoples experiences as how this step up in qualification from the NEBOSH diploma helped people in practice.

for me personally the difference between having the NGC to the Diploma was huge and brought me on leaps and bounds im wondering if peoples experiences from Diploma to MSC were similar.

any feedback greatly appreciated 

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2020 13:43:21(UTC)
HSSnail

Daniel

What is your general educational background? Usually, an MSc is evidence-based by some kind of research project. If you did the NEBOSH Diploma, you would find it a totally different experience as it’s not just about learning the law and facts (sorry that’s an oversimplification of NEBOSH I know.) I come from a research scientist’s background and don’t mind admitting I struggled with NEBOSH. I gained mu IOSH membership via the PGc in Occupational Safety and Health Management, which was similarly heavily weighted to the research of the topic and not just exams. This was a 2 year programme to MSc but as I was self funded I stopped at year 1.  Remember an MSc is likely to be very narrow in its scope ( a PhD even more so), so it is likely only to open up a limited Job market.

Look carefully at the different syllabus for learning providers and see how they will assess and see what suits you best. Good luck whichever way you go.

DanielThornton  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2020 13:55:59(UTC)
DanielThornton

Thanks Brian, 

My Health and Safety educational background is NGC > Diploma.

I think a research based qualification may be what i am looking for, i will take a more in depth look at the syllabus and see what suits.

Thanks for your advice!!