Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephen Hill  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2020 14:32:46(UTC)
Stephen Hill

Good Afternoon Everyone, i hope all are safe and well. 

I have recently completed the IOSH Train The Trainer onlione course, i found it very useful and in places quiet differcult, but did enjoy it.

I currently work for a Facilities Management company as a QHSE Advisor, part of this role is to deliver the company inductions and any other HSE tarining that may be required, i though becoming regeristered as an IOSH acciredit trainer woudl give weight to the training, who you agree?

I also wondered if it is better to register as myself or under the company? i would like to think my career in H&S will be in training as the older i get:-) still young at 49 LOL

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2020 15:28:24(UTC)
HSSnail

The best thing to do Stephen is to speak with IOSH or start by looking at information on the web site. You don’t register as an IOSH trainer. You register to deliver specific courses. I registered my employer as an IOSH center to provide “Managing Safely” with myself as the named trainer. You can choose to get your own courses approved – but we thought that was a little expensive for us as a moment.

Do you register as a separate center or do you register your employer – well, that up to you, but whose time are you going to use to deliver the training, whos going to pay the annual license fee? If your thinking of offering external training, how are you going to get the time?  We are registered to provide external training – but don’t do so at the moment as we have not sorted out insurance cover to do this. When we eventually get in a position to offer the training, I will be more than happy to allow my company to use any fees to subsides my salary. But then I am probably coming towards the end of my H&S carrier, and while I love training, I think it would take a long time to build up a client base to make the switch to a full-time trainer.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Stephen Hill on 02/07/2020(UTC)
Stephen Hill  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2020 15:42:40(UTC)
Stephen Hill

Hi Brian, 

Thank you for taking the time to resposed and advise, i have to say you have made some very valid points, especilley in regards to my employers time and who will be paying the costs. I will speak with IOSH in the morning, i think train for my employer now and see where the years take me:-)

aud  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2020 16:12:19(UTC)
aud

Hello Stephen

Pleased to see your clear joy at expanding into training. Funny thing, but training is almost always a standard requisite of a safety & health post, yet the training of the SP contains very little for that skill. It has always troubled me - I had a training job before I moved into H&S, and drew on that all the time, aware that my NEBOSH Diploma had offered only the most peripheral insight into how people learn. To be fair, there is a lot to training and teaching, so maybe SPs should not do ANY unless we have a specific competency.

My suggested route to expand the SP competency is the adult training qualification: it was 'Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector' (PTLLS known as petals) which is now called AET apparently. 

I don't think becoming IOSH accredited for IOSH courses adds any weight (personal opinion), and that alone will not help much with developing your actual proficiency, which should include identifying 'training needs' too. IOSH would just give a framework, syllabus and some training aids. If your employer is wedded to the kudos element of having IOSH accredited courses, then it probably would be worth it if they pay. I don't have a view on company v personal.

You will learn a lot by just doing, buoyed by your TTT course. But I suggest you also do some reading around 'how people learn' and also on coaching techniques. This is because the skills cross over to those you are already using as an adviser or consultant. There's plenty of help via the university of Youtube.

There was an IOSH webinar on training for the agile workforce this week. It confirmed my thoughts - the move is to frequent short specifically focused learning content delivered in a variety of ways but mostly (and currently) remotely. It's the future. As you seem keen to continue in training, don't limit yourself.

Whatever you choose, good luck and ask questions here too.

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
Stephen Hill on 03/07/2020(UTC)
nic168  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2020 07:35:43(UTC)
nic168

Stephen, Like Aud I did the PTTLLS course some years ago and found it really useful , challenging and a bit of a revelation for me. I used to be part of a team that delivered IOSH MS which was quite enjoyable at times and rewarding.

As far as I can tell we are all expected to be able to deliver information and advice ( Toolbox talks etc) but few of us get the opportunity to be trained to do it, so if your employer offers the opportunity and it interests you, go for it.

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2020 08:49:50(UTC)
HSSnail

I have been training other people for over 40 years (that was a shock when I worked that out) Not always H&S – was even a professional SCUBA instructor for a while. This was long before PTLLS or AET were even thought of! In that time I have completed numerous “Train the Trainer” course’s as things changed. When we as a company decided to register for Managing Safely I too did the IOSH Train the Trainer Course. Like any course some was a refresh but there were some bits and pieces I picked up that had changed over the years. Its fairly new so what its standing will be only time will tell. However I have to agree that if you are thinking of moving into a full time training course then AET is now the industry standard.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2020 18:00:05(UTC)
Bigmac1

Stephen, word of warning. If you go alone then you need to be CMIOSH. If you register the company someone within the company needs to be CMIOSH.

Hope this helps

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2020 18:39:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post
If you go alone then you need to be CMIOSH.
Got to ask why is there some hidden legislation?
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2020 18:39:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

aud  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:25:42(UTC)
aud

Follow-up to Brian at #6.     Not just full-time H&S trainers.

AET or similar will benefit any safety practitioner thinking about including any training within their role. In my opinion training skills should be part of the education of SPs but that's me going off on one.

HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2020 14:35:16(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: aud Go to Quoted Post

Follow-up to Brian at #6.     Not just full-time H&S trainers.

AET or similar will benefit any safety practitioner thinking about including any training within their role. In my opinion training skills should be part of the education of SPs but that's me going off on one.

Totaly Agree Aud - training skills are a very important part of wht we do, im realy glad you said SIMILAR in your reply.

What I dont like is elitism!

AET is better than IOSH

NEBOSH is better than any other quailification

CMIOSH etc.

There are more than one way to skin a cat!

Bigmac1  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2020 15:33:56(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
Roundtuit - Thats IOSH's rules.I have the licences and that was a stipulation.

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 08/07/2020(UTC)
johnc  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2020 17:47:18(UTC)
johnc

Having a Chartered Member was required to try to ensure that the standard of training and the level of knowledge of the trainer was at a high level. Remember that when Managing Safely first came out the trainer could be someone with training experience and a Level 3 Safety qualification. They did not have to be a member of the Institution. From experience it was a good idea having seen some terrible training by some organisations. The Member was held responsible for the standard and the training agreement with IOSH stated this as well as the training organisation having to agree that the Member had the authority to take action when required.