Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrBrightside  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2020 11:19:03(UTC)
MrBrightside

Don't see these come up that often.

"A self-employed independent health and safety consultant has been fined £1,400 for breach of legislation for giving advice to clients, despite not being properly qualified"

Link to story: https://www.shponline.co.uk/in-court/consultant-clive-weal-fined-for-providing-incompetent-health-and-safety-advice/?elq_mid=4123&elq_cid=1465093

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2020 12:21:09(UTC)
Kate

To be fair, the failings described are pretty bad ones across more than one topic.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2020 13:21:18(UTC)
peter gotch

A little bit of googling suggests that health and safety consultancy might be somewhat of a sideline. Spicier connections at an unsecure website. 

But also LinkedIn profile links to a claims defence website that has gone down.

But perhaps the defendant could come here and present his side of the story?

All too often, when the defendant chooses not to go to trial, HSE paint a picture that may be misleading. I have been involved in two "Newton" hearings where what HSE said in the subsequent press releases bore little rememblance to what was tabled in Crown Court in the Joint Experts' reports. 

P

Edited by user 14 July 2020 13:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: Extra paragraph for clarification

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 14/07/2020(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2020 14:34:34(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

All too often, when the defendant chooses not to go to trial, HSE paint a picture that may be misleading. I have been involved in two "Newton" hearings where what HSE said in the subsequent press releases bore little rememblance to what was tabled in Crown Court in the Joint Experts' reports. 

You also rely on the press person actualy writting what was said rather that what sound s good. Have seen a few quotes allegidly from my evidance in cases that were actualy said by someone else - or they compress 15 minuets of evidance into 2 lines - Whats the saying lies dam lies and newspaper reports? Or is that one i just made up?

Acorns  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2020 06:52:00(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post
Whats the saying lies dam lies and newspaper reports? Or is that one i just made up?

i think statistically ​​​​​​​it's possible you are correct 😁