Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2020 21:01:18(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, just wondering what measures others have applied for toilets with regards to covid-19. The HSE have said employees should be provided information on cleaning/hygiene measures when using toilets. 

Would employees be expected to wipe down toilet handles/door latch handles etc or am I reading too much into this?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2020 22:10:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO you are reading too much in to what is being said. Never been a duty under most employees contracts.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2020 22:10:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

IMHO you are reading too much in to what is being said. Never been a duty under most employees contracts.

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2020 05:27:48(UTC)
stevedm

Disagree it has always been a requirement to communicate good hygiene techniques...What I have implemented on a couple of sites...employees  - information on the correct hand wash technique is displayed in each toilet and urinal, room size and number of occupants allowed is displayed on the door, hand dryers have been disabled off paper towels are in place...on a large construction site it is difficult to police as the cleaners are abused daily but those that do report it the individuals are removed from site as it breaches the code of conduct...

Kate  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2020 05:37:24(UTC)
Kate

I interpret it as we have to provide information on what cleaning and hygiene measures the employer is taking - for example, the schedule the cleaning contractors are following.  As for what the employees need to do, I see it as limited to "wash your hands".

Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2020 08:43:14(UTC)
Mark-W

We have displayed a procedure for using the facilitys, we went from hand towels, to paper towels at beginning of lockdown when we had reduced numbers, we have now fitted hand driers.

Hand gel station is on the wall outside of toilets, plus we have a member of staff who checks and cleans throughout the day, extra payment is paid to cover this.