Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevedm  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2020 10:02:13(UTC)
stevedm

Straw Poll - Who is doing employee temperature checks on entry to site?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2020 11:21:37(UTC)
Kate

No.

When it was raised as a possibility I advised don't even consider it.

Captcha: ooh, I've got caeq!  And it's not even Friday yet!

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
stevedm on 16/07/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2020 12:06:44(UTC)
chris42

No

Also advised against it.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
stevedm on 16/07/2020(UTC), johnc on 21/07/2020(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2020 13:19:53(UTC)
Holliday42333

No.  Advised against it.

Always fraught with issues from GDPR, health and accuracy etc.

IMO one of those controls that make people feel they are doing something but is actually a bit of a paper tiger.

thanks 2 users thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
stevedm on 16/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/07/2020(UTC)
flysafe  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2020 14:06:44(UTC)
flysafe

Yes - well recived at our 18 sites, HSE also have inspected 1 site and were happy with our procedures. Its only part of our overall strategy, but marginal gains can make a difference. Couldnt see any downsides only potential gains.

thanks 1 user thanked flysafe for this useful post.
SammyK  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2020 14:42:47(UTC)
SammyK

Hello, we decided against it for the following reasons:

out of 5100 people who tested positive in America none of them had a temperture

35% in the UK who tested positive didnt have a temperature

hand held devices only read skin rather than core temperature so there could be a false reading, 

Sam  

thanks 1 user thanked SammyK for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2020 14:51:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Another good reason is who do you test? Where I work we can have hundreds if not thousands of people moving on and off the site. We can’t monitor every single one of them but who do we choose.  Should you do the CEO or just the underlings? What about visitors?

And then what do you if someone seems positive?

Do you tell them to get a proper test and to come back on site only if they are proven to be negative?

Do you just tell them to go home and to come back when they feel better or after 7 days?

How long do you keep the records for  a week, a month or don’t you bother so they can come in tomorrow when they know Fred is not doing the temperature monitoring job

So NO then

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Holliday42333  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:31:39(UTC)
Holliday42333

Taken from a post in the members forums;

If considering, or using, temperature monitoring its worth remembering that the Government has issued guidance stating it is not reliable.

Don’t rely on temperature screening products for detection of coronavirus (COVID-19), says MHRA​​​​​​​

Edited by user 16 July 2020 15:35:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
achrn  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2020 09:29:27(UTC)
achrn

No for our UK sites (for the same reasons as the 'no's above) but we have it in some of our non-UK offices where it has been mandated by the statute or strong guidance.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
stevedm on 19/07/2020(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2020 16:57:16(UTC)
Bigmac1

NO

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
stevedm on 19/07/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#11 Posted : 20 July 2020 08:19:41(UTC)
Mark-W

Yes, we have instigated it. Office has 20 people in. Help desk manager is always first in, she then takes the temps of everyone who enters. Each member of staff have their own sheet for recording temps. A week is recorded on a sheet and I review weekly to look at trends in temp. I hold 2 weeks forth, when the next sheet comes in, I dhred the earliest. And so it goes on. 

It may not be actual benefit but it makes the staff feel as though they are doing the right thing.

We have screens in place, cleaning stations at the end of every desk, no vistors, deliverys are dropped off at main door to building, hand gel stations are fixed to the wall in 5 locations.

If anything they have gone above and beyond what is required. I'd rather they did that that then try and get by with minimal effort

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
JamesKennedy  
#12 Posted : 20 July 2020 08:34:04(UTC)
JamesKennedy

Yes. Temperature checking is part of the overall strategy of the company. While the company initiated the process, the majority of our Contractors on the sites asked for it also.

thanks 1 user thanked JamesKennedy for this useful post.
Gerry Knowles  
#13 Posted : 21 July 2020 15:15:16(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

We took the decision not too.  This was based on the high possibility that the reading could be either a false positive or negative. We do insist on customers coming into the hire shop sanitise and from last week wear a face mask and we have fitted counter to roof wrap round perspex screens.  Not that all of them comply but some do.  A number of our drivers have been temperature checked when delivering to sites.  They have all tested negative.  

I do feel that the current situation is a bit confusing and will only get worse after Friday. 

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
HSSnail  
#14 Posted : 22 July 2020 09:17:20(UTC)
HSSnail

No. Not enough evidance that it will help - people infectiouse long before (if ever) they develope a temperature,

Also found this interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52940951

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Kate on 22/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
knotty  
#15 Posted : 22 July 2020 14:33:25(UTC)
knotty

Yes - the side effects are very valuable, even if the reliability and actual figures are not...

• I has given returning staff confidence and a very real demonstration of management commitment to ensure staff feel safe
  •  It has opened lines of communication, with a member of management in the car park every morning, conducting checks and chatting with staff, listening to concerns and resolving issues 
  •  It has provided evidence to demostrate staff are following the guidelines and not attempting to come to work whilst unwell. This has improved trust within staff teams
  • It has demonstrated to visitors and contractors, before they enter site, we are taking Covid measures seriously, and has ensured compliance with other requirements on site

We do not record information, rather capture everyone as they enter site. Reporting is by exception, which has so far not been required.

thanks 3 users thanked knotty for this useful post.
Kate on 22/07/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 23/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
Acorns  
#16 Posted : 23 July 2020 07:40:06(UTC)
Acorns

No, don't recommend it.  

By coincidence attended a company yesterday and after a quite sweaty time outside, went into the office where temp taken with a digital thermometer which showed 34.7 degrees, despite or because I was sweating.  They shrugged their shoulders, filled in the numbers and ticked the box.  

My concern now would be that taking temps provides a false sense of safety and false confidence.  Rather like wearing a hard hat in the middle of an empty field.

Edited by user 23 July 2020 07:41:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Kate on 23/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#17 Posted : 23 July 2020 08:03:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

We do for the same reasons given by Knotty.

It is not about diagnosing COVID-19. It is to instill confidence in the workforce, allow communication on a personal level and to get employees in the right mindset for distancing within the workplace.

We do not record the temperatures. I don't see the point in recording them. If someone tests over 38°C they are asked to step to one side for a couple of minutes, then tested again. If they are still over 38°C they are told to go home, and preferably get tested. Then follow the NHS advice.

We accept that skin temperature is a poor indication, the employees are told that it is neither a good way to tell whether they are infected, nor a good way to ensure they are not. At first I was dubious as to the benefits of taking temperatures, but it has actually been a very positive experience. People are overwhelmingly positive in their response to being tested. It has improved morale no end.

My biggest worry is that we miss the first cases within our workplace and therefore someone gets seriously ill. Whilst it is not even a good indicator of infection, it is an indicator. It increases our chances by a small percentage. We don't do temperature checks instead of controls, but to compliment the controls we have in place.

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Kate on 23/07/2020(UTC), knotty on 24/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
Ellis  
#18 Posted : 23 July 2020 09:50:28(UTC)
Ellis

We do, I have been allocated two people from each shift that alternate every hour  between taking temperatures and sanitising commonly touched surfaces, toilet doors hand rails etc.  There is someone on the door 24 / 7 behind a screen and with a one way system implemented everyone is scanned everytime they come into the building, even if they had their temp taken 5 minutes ago.

Everyone is issued with a small sticker to their swipe card ( which changes colour daily ) and are required to obtain one before using the smoking shelter at the start of their shift. This is just one of the controls among many we have implemented. 

It does install confidence especially with bringing back people from furlough,  those that have genuinely been isolating are the most nervous.

thanks 2 users thanked Ellis for this useful post.
knotty on 24/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)
WatsonD  
#19 Posted : 24 July 2020 15:03:07(UTC)
WatsonD

This has no benefits, only drawbacks for me:

Does not pick up asyptomatic or pre-symptomatic people.

Give the impression then that all those in work are fine and creates complacency amongst workers

Does not test for covid, only temperature, which can be caused by cycling to work, stress, other ilnnesses and certain medication.

I can't see what it does that telling people not to come to work with symptoms doesn't acheive. It is time consuming and therefore costly and Reliability being ignored only gives a lagging indication as people are infectious around five days before they are symptomatic - if indeed they ever are.

thanks 3 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC), GTD on 27/07/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/07/2020(UTC)
GTD  
#20 Posted : 27 July 2020 09:57:34(UTC)
GTD

Reading those who are doing it, it seems they are doing it for 'doing it' sake. The increased or decreased temperature check does not demonstrate as to having covid a range of factors should be considered and as was shown earlier a high percentage did not have a temperature. a bit like in my opinon the anti body test. unless you are to limit those who do not have covid antibodies then an anti body test at work is also pointless. 

thanks 2 users thanked GTD for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/07/2020(UTC), stevedm on 27/07/2020(UTC)