Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CptBeaky  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2020 10:11:49(UTC)
CptBeaky

We are still awaiting the first positive test result in our factory (furloughed or otherwise). This means when we do get a case, it could spread like wildfire despite our controls. We still don't have a definitive model of how the virus spreads, so we would have no way of knowing if we were safe or not, but we are doing our best. Whilst we can abide by the 2m distance for the vast majority of the work, we stil have to handle materials that have already been handled during the same day. Contact contamination is easily our biggest risk.

We cannot quaratine handled goods until they are safe else it would increase the production time from less than a day to over 2 weeks, and we would run out of storage room very quickly. This is an estimate, since we don't know how long the virus stays viable for on hard surfaces, it could be a lot longer. The product can't be cleaned, it is too large. Whilst gloves are worn, these are not really a good solution to preventing spread of viruses. Currently the main control is plenty of hand sanitiser dotted around the facility. Those more at risk are put earlier in the process, to reduce the risk to them. When the product is moved between benches it is done so in a trolley, that is wheeled to the next bench and left for the next person, who then returns the trolley when it is empty. The benches are all at least 2m apart, and normally more than 3m apart. All benches are only worked on by one person at a time, and all benches are assigned only to that person.

The product is PVC, aluminium, glass and/or steel. It is handled by around 5-6 people over the course of a day at different points. Does anybody have any other ideas of any other ways we can reduce transmission risk?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2020 14:34:39(UTC)
Kate

I suspect the reason for the lack of response so far is that no one can think of anything sensible to add to what seems like a comprehensive set of well thought through precautions.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 15/07/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2020 05:55:09(UTC)
stevedm

sorry been on site :)  there are studies in place to give you an indication...can't say much else really...

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

I will post the link to the original research peice when I find it... :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 17/07/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2020 16:52:03(UTC)
stevedm

https://www.nejm.org/doi...4973?query=featured_home This the report I was talking about it covers how long it lasts on surfaces.
thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 17/07/2020(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2020 17:11:49(UTC)
Bigmac1

I think the only thing that you have not thought of is wiping products down.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2020 07:06:06(UTC)
Kate

The Captain did think of it - "The product can't be cleaned, it is too large."