Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Manson  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:28:43(UTC)
David Manson

Good afternoon everyone,

A third party delivery driver has fallen off a tail lift at our premises and gone to hospital for treatment. (Early indications are that he is bumped and bruised but will be okay)

I have advised that it is not RIDDOR reportable by us as "the person in control of the premies" because he was emplyed by the supplier and they are obliged to make the RIDDOR report. We only report such 3d party injuries to members of the public and self-employed people.

However I am not sure what is meant by members of the public. I am fairly sure that this is not reportable by us otherwise there would be two RIDDOR reports (one by us and one by the employer)

Has anyone got a different opinion?

Thanks,

David

Edited by user 16 July 2020 15:30:51(UTC)  | Reason: Typing mistakes

Kate  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2020 06:38:12(UTC)
Kate

Members of the public in this context just means people who are not at work.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
David Manson on 18/07/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2020 08:02:37(UTC)
chris42

RIDDOR is a little vague on this and does mention both the employer and the person in control of the premises. I like to think I take a practical approach with regard to this.

If my company employ someone from another organisation and tell them what to do and how to do it, then it is up to us to report any RIDDOR accident.

If they come onto our premises as known trained person in whatever activity, working under their own control then their employer should report any RIDDOR, unless caused by my organisation’s activities. I would ensure that the sub contracted company does make a report and want to see evidence of it. Where necessary this should be built into any contract.

However, it is up to us to ensure they do have a safe system of work and that anything that needs reporting does. If they refuse then we would report on their behalf and make that very clear in the report and not then include it in our statistics.

In your situation I would expect their employer to report and look into what to do to prevent any reoccurrence.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2020 17:04:15(UTC)
Bigmac1

I agree with Chris

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
David Manson  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2020 08:28:29(UTC)
David Manson

Thanks all three of you. Chris - that makes perfect sense and I'm very grateful.

Regards,

David

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2020 13:57:40(UTC)
peter gotch

David from the legislative horse's mouth:

3.—(1) In these Regulations, the “responsible person” is—

(a)in relation to an injury, death or dangerous occurrence reportable under regulation 4, 5, 6 or 7 or recordable under regulation 12(1)(b) involving—

(i)an employee, that employee’s employer; or

(ii)a person not at work or a self-employed person, or in relation to any other dangerous occurrence, the person who by means of their carrying on any undertaking was in control of the premises where the reportable or recordable incident happened, at the time it happened

So, assuming that the accident was reportable or recordable (which on the basis of your posting sounds unlikely), then identifying who the "responsible person" is, depends on

whether the driver was employed by some other organisation (in which case they are the "responsible person" for reporting/recording)

or self-employed (quite common for drivers, in which case down to the person in control of the premises, i.e. yourselves - even if day to day control of how that driver does their job is really in the hands of A N Other - one of the [numerous] slightly odd features of RIDDOR).

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
David Manson on 20/07/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2020 10:06:20(UTC)
chris42

Agree with Peter but (there is always one “but” isn’t there, don’t you just love RIDDOR)

From the HSE Guidance https://www.hse.gov.uk/vulnerable-workers/agency-temporary-workers.htm

Introduction

….

An "employment business" means the business (whether or not carried on with a view to profit and whether or not carried on in conjunction with any other business) of supplying persons in the employment of the person carrying on the business, to act for, and under the control of, other persons in any capacity.

Agency Workers

If an employment business places a worker for short periods of work with an employer (end user) but the worker remains under a contractual relationship with the employment business, then the guidance for temporary workers applies.

Temporary Workers

There is no single, clear cut definition of a temporary worker as there are often a number of different intermediaries involved, including:

….

An employment business acts as a master vendor and supplies the temporary worker to another business (end user) either directly or via other recruitment agencies (second tier suppliers).  A number of different contractual arrangements run in tandem for supply to the same end user

Guidance for Users and Suppliers of Agency/Temporary workers

In many cases the employment business will be the employer of the temporary worker, since it retains ultimate control over their services.

In practice, the day-to-day responsibility for health and safety during the assignment will lie with the end user. It will be in the best position to manage the health and safety of the temporary worker as it will direct the worker’s activities and control the premises where that work takes place….

Accident reporting

Where a worker is not an employee, the duty to report an incident under RIDDOR is on the end user, as the person in control of the premises where an incident occurs.

Hence my comments about who is in control of the person, so it may still be down to the person in control of the premises even if not a direct employee, if deemed to be in control of their activities. Which makes sense to me, but not entirely as clear as Peter notes the Legislation appears to state :0) as it intimates a non-employee’s accident should be reported by the employer (but it seems not always in the eyes of HSE) and hence my comment about confusion.

NB I have highlighted in red key words and the “….” are to show where there is more extraneous text for this point, I have removed.

Chris

David Manson  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2020 09:49:52(UTC)
David Manson

Thanks Chris 42 - I have a pretty comprehensive reply now. Iur investigation shows that the driver was in control of his activities and was employed by the supplier. Even better, he didn't sustain any significant injuries although he has some nasty bruising.

David