Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roundtuit  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2020 13:58:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53580797

Robots in Leeds spraying alcohol mist (last time I checked alcohol being dumped in the water course through for example street drainage was illegal and can damage the microbial balance at the effluent treatment plant).

A "trolley" washing station spraying anti-microbial - no mention of the trolley bearing a notice stating which potential allergen will be present to affect members of the general public.

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/us-contractor-adopts-walk-though-anti-virus-cleaning

The RoW friend hypochlorous acid (and again what are you going to do with the liquid waste)

What happened to all that research which indicated some of modern mans current woes with allergies are down to the overly sanitised "germ free" world we tried to create in the late 20th century?

More importantly what happened to rational thought that also necessitates consideration of potential consequences due to a course of action rather than focusing upon the headline event?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 30/07/2020(UTC), nic168 on 04/08/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 30/07/2020(UTC), nic168 on 04/08/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2020 13:58:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53580797

Robots in Leeds spraying alcohol mist (last time I checked alcohol being dumped in the water course through for example street drainage was illegal and can damage the microbial balance at the effluent treatment plant).

A "trolley" washing station spraying anti-microbial - no mention of the trolley bearing a notice stating which potential allergen will be present to affect members of the general public.

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/us-contractor-adopts-walk-though-anti-virus-cleaning

The RoW friend hypochlorous acid (and again what are you going to do with the liquid waste)

What happened to all that research which indicated some of modern mans current woes with allergies are down to the overly sanitised "germ free" world we tried to create in the late 20th century?

More importantly what happened to rational thought that also necessitates consideration of potential consequences due to a course of action rather than focusing upon the headline event?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 30/07/2020(UTC), nic168 on 04/08/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 30/07/2020(UTC), nic168 on 04/08/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2020 15:27:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Biosafety theatre comes to Yorkshire!  Perhaps it’s a tour supported the Arts Council and they will next visit Manchester and Liverpool?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 29/07/2020(UTC), Roundtuit on 30/07/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2020 09:44:49(UTC)
CptBeaky

Wasn't it in Spain that they started bleaching the beaches?

biker1  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2020 09:54:06(UTC)
biker1

Are we going to need a new type of face mask to protect against these things, or perhaps we change masks when we come across them, then change back again after? As for the trolley wash, why don't they just adapt car washes, then both us and the trolley can get cleaned and disinfected. Instead of windscreen wiper stays, there could be spectacle stays, although the brushes would still make a mess of your hair, so might need a socially distanced hair stylist at the end of it to put your mop back in place, although with some of the hair styles these days, it probably wouldn't matter.

Anybody remember the film Wall-E?

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 30/07/2020(UTC)
nic168  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2020 11:01:14(UTC)
nic168

Having ventured into town last week, I was appaulled at the amonut of handsanitizer I should have used- every shop or venue tries to douse you. By the time I got home I smelt like I had been on great night out*, my car still smelt boozy the next day.

I dont know if alcohol can be absorbed through the skin, but it can certainly be inhaled. 

* not in a classy way

biker1  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2020 15:58:01(UTC)
biker1

Serious drunks must think it's wonderful. Before, they had to rely on hospitals, now they can guzzle the stuff at most places. Beats the hell out of vodka for alcohol content.

John Murray  
#8 Posted : 05 August 2020 16:22:49(UTC)
John Murray

I remember reading about tests done in the 1940s' on hypochlorous acid as an anti-bacterial agent. They sprayed loads in the air and had people wandering around in the fog for hours. They concluded it was OK to fill hospital rooms with it as a fog. How times have changed (mind you, they also tested people for radiation effects by having them stand facing a nuclear explosion with no protective gear on)

thanks 1 user thanked John Murray for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/08/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:32:14(UTC)
biker1

It's amazing what we used to get up to in days gone by, and that any of us survived it, before we knew better. I started my proper working life as a process chemist in the chemical waste industry, and the things we did and were exposed to make me cringe now.

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:59:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Like mouth pippeting Sodium Cyanide solution?

Never could get to grips with those fangled valved pipette fillers when they came out, constantly drawing solution in to the bulb - thankfully the arrival of the ratchet version saved me from myself.

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:59:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Never could get to grips with those fangled valved pipette fillers when they came out, constantly drawing solution in to the bulb - thankfully the arrival of the ratchet version saved me from myself.

A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 06 August 2020 12:21:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Once I had a clear out and found an accident book from the 1940’s. Best incident was someone managed to have an accident mouth pipetting chromic acid (look it up, it’s pure fun). Best part was that he managed to do it again 6 months later: so much for lessons learned!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 06/08/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2020 13:06:49(UTC)
John Murray

The firm I used to work for had just completed a new contract, a welded stainless-steel structure. It needed the welds cleaned to remove heat-related colouring. So they bough a "pickling paste" to do it with. It was a mixture of Nitric acid and Hydrofluoric acid. Having read the MSD sheet (which I had to beg them to let me read), I declined to do the job!  https://www.hse.gov.uk/w...g/post-weld-cleaning.htm

biker1  
#14 Posted : 06 August 2020 13:29:37(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Yep, been there, done that. And concentrated hydrochloric acid, amongst other things. My hair used to turn blonde in the summer from the chlorine fumes from treatment tanks. Also drove a ten tonne tanker around the site with no training, and a loading shovel likewise. Used lime/calcium carbide to keep the pH up on cyanide treatment tanks to avoid generating cyanogen chloride, but this generated acetylene, so had to stop anyone smoking in the vicinity. Happy days. Also had a job as a fork lift truck driver at one time, in the days before training was required/provided.

Edited by user 06 August 2020 13:59:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 06 August 2020 22:01:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
mouth pipetting chromic acid
Got that T-shirt!

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 06 August 2020 22:01:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
mouth pipetting chromic acid
Got that T-shirt!

biker1  
#17 Posted : 07 August 2020 12:50:04(UTC)
biker1

And me!