Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RebbekahT  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2020 11:20:39(UTC)
RebbekahT

Hello, 

I'm curious to know, what procedures are people using to sign in and out of office buildings?

I know some places, mainly food/restraunts are using QR codes that people scan using thier own phones, but i've not seen much for office buildings? 

Beccah 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2020 11:27:42(UTC)
Kate

We have put one in our office in advance of re-opening, to be used by both staff and visitors. It uses QR codes through a thing called Sign In App on an iPhone.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
RebbekahT on 24/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2020 14:40:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

What happens when the person does not have an iPhone, any form of mobile device or does not have a QR code reader installed (by choice or company IT policy)? Some mobiles are still very old school doing the absoute basics of call, text and maybe low resolution photograph.

Not everyone has a company mobile, some are banned from carrying personal mobiles during working hours and some people do actually choose to live without such intrusions in to their life (same way as not everyone has a bank account/bank card, photo driving licence or passport).

Then of course using a particular app you are forcing an individual to permit a software application to handle data without the ability to reject permissions over access to any other information on the phone - most apps just refuse to install if they are denied access.

Then there is the issue of a dead battery.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2020 14:40:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

What happens when the person does not have an iPhone, any form of mobile device or does not have a QR code reader installed (by choice or company IT policy)? Some mobiles are still very old school doing the absoute basics of call, text and maybe low resolution photograph.

Not everyone has a company mobile, some are banned from carrying personal mobiles during working hours and some people do actually choose to live without such intrusions in to their life (same way as not everyone has a bank account/bank card, photo driving licence or passport).

Then of course using a particular app you are forcing an individual to permit a software application to handle data without the ability to reject permissions over access to any other information on the phone - most apps just refuse to install if they are denied access.

Then there is the issue of a dead battery.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2020 15:19:37(UTC)
chris42

I’m assuming that you currently have a pen and paper (or book), so why change. Seriously people can’t go all day without touching things other people touch, its just not possible. Those that are paranoid may use their own pen (once they work out how to get through the door the person before them touched!) or just put some gel next to signing in book. Job done

Edited by user 24 July 2020 15:22:08(UTC)  | Reason: fat fingers

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RebbekahT on 03/08/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2020 09:08:29(UTC)
Kate

Where a staff member does not have a smartphone, the QR code is printed out and given to them as a piece of paper.  Not sure that this would work for visitors though.  

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
RebbekahT on 03/08/2020(UTC)
nic168  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2020 11:52:00(UTC)
nic168

There are problems in relying on the book system.

We are currently lightly staffed , most people are only in for a few hours or once a week. We rely on a signing in/out book, but on my random visits I have noticed that the number of vehicles on site does not match the number of live names in the book and a rough head count does not often reflect the book either. Some of the entries are practically unreadable and more than one has been spotted with questionable entry/exit times.

The book is the only record of who is on the site in the event of an emergency

Apart from sneaky locals using the car park, there is clearly a problem with people signing in.  I have seen people neglect to sign out for short breaks or visits- i tactfully remind them. I also suspect our tennants do not always sign in or sign their visitors in.

All Staff and tennants have swipe cards to access different areas, so it should be possible to monitor in this way, but apparently it needs extra software. Can anyone steer me towards a ssite that explains how this works so i can make a convincing case to invest in this type of system?

i cannot keep relying on tactful converstaions and emails reminding people of the need to do this.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2020 15:27:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Swipe cards on standard doors do not work - people will hold the door or follow others through especially with visitors.

You can get the readers attached to a logger, you can get the logger to do a print out, you can even get the logger to do a print out when for example the fire alarm goes off - it is still reliant upon people touching in and out at the reader.

Then you have the additional problems of adequate paper supply, adequate ink supply, suitable location and the hope that the event causing the fire hasn't fused the electrics or burnt through the communicatons cable.

So the first time the fire alarm goes off it is the main distribution board in the communications room - academic really all the paper had been "borrowed" and the ink had dried up.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2020 15:27:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Swipe cards on standard doors do not work - people will hold the door or follow others through especially with visitors.

You can get the readers attached to a logger, you can get the logger to do a print out, you can even get the logger to do a print out when for example the fire alarm goes off - it is still reliant upon people touching in and out at the reader.

Then you have the additional problems of adequate paper supply, adequate ink supply, suitable location and the hope that the event causing the fire hasn't fused the electrics or burnt through the communicatons cable.

So the first time the fire alarm goes off it is the main distribution board in the communications room - academic really all the paper had been "borrowed" and the ink had dried up.

Hsquared14  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2020 12:28:50(UTC)
Hsquared14

Dear me - this loooks like a mountains and mole hills situation.  Normal pen and paper is fine, sign in use the pen then use the handsanitiser next to it.  We are talking about adults who have to take some responsibility for their own safety here.  Swipe cards / tags can work if they are correctly installed and properly communicated to personnel most of these systems are connected to a standard PC and will produce a report on a normal office printer.  Making things more complicated than they need to be is not helpful.

Kate  
#11 Posted : 06 August 2020 12:31:28(UTC)
Kate

I'm hoping that a silver lining of Covid is that distancing means people will no longer tailgate through doors.