Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2020 18:57:30(UTC)
SammyK

Evening all, Does anyone have any info on the COVID antibodies test? I had a finger prick test today that ‘checked’ to see whether you have the antibodies in your system. Although not diagnosed at the time I am sure I had mild COVID in March. Today I had the test and it came back as negative. They couldn’t answer when I asked How long the antibodies stay in your system for. I’ve since heard it’s a 6-8 window from being symptomatic. I work for a huge company and before we start getting everyone tested I’m looking for anyone’s help/guidance as to whether this could be a quick money making game by these companies that are doing antibodies test or you think they actually work. Thank you!
Alan Haynes  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2020 20:06:23(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Why do you want to get people tested for antibodies? Even if someone has them, it only shows they have had Covid19. A negative result doesn't prove you haven't, just that the test failed to find antibodies. Having the antibodies doesn't prove you can't catch Covid19 again. So, I can't see the point in shelling out for a test that doesn't really give much value for money.

Edited by user 10 August 2020 20:08:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
Kate on 11/08/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2020 07:04:49(UTC)
John Murray

I doubt everyone will consent to the tests, and without consent you cannot test.

Threatening people for not consenting to the tests would be illegal (that has been tried).

Then there is the thorny problem of you having to secure the test results and assign who would be authorised to see them.

Even more irritating is that many who have had the disease do not show antibodies after infection, and in many people antibodies reduce to such a low level after recovery that they are not detected in a test.

Then there is the question of why would you want to test everyone......or anyone. And what would you do anyway?

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:43:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Tipped hat to AK - "Biosafety theatre" - lets be seen to be doing something just because we can, not that it has any real benefit, impact or influence. P.S. next ** that points a thermometer at me better have the safety certificate available for the device as I have now decided to fund my next holiday through a spurious ambulance chaser claim for skin cancer due to unauthorised (to diagnose Covid-19) devices.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:43:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Tipped hat to AK - "Biosafety theatre" - lets be seen to be doing something just because we can, not that it has any real benefit, impact or influence. P.S. next ** that points a thermometer at me better have the safety certificate available for the device as I have now decided to fund my next holiday through a spurious ambulance chaser claim for skin cancer due to unauthorised (to diagnose Covid-19) devices.

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:33:34(UTC)
CptBeaky

Not sure how you would proove they cause skin cancer when all the evidence says they don't. They use infrared, not ultraviolet. Unless you are insinuating that the ones without the correct paperwork are using a laser?

I ask with genuine interest. (As I have said before, I love conspiracy theories and this is one that I have investigated before)

CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2020 08:39:35(UTC)
CptBeaky

Just to be clear, they receive infrared. They don't emit any energy.