Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joshua98  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2020 18:30:34(UTC)
Joshua98

Hi All, 

I have had a recent incident where an operative has tested positive for Covid-19. The site has been shut down and all contractors have been sent away to have a test.  So would this be classed as a 'dangerous occurance' and be reportable under riddor? 

If any of the operatives who were sent away to have the Covid-19 test come back as testing positive, does this mean it must be reported as a 'case of disease'?  https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/riddor/index.htm https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/riddor/riddor-reporting-further-guidance.htm I have read through all the HSE guidance/information regarding riddor reporting of Covid-19 and think what I have said above is correct but it would be great to have more opinions in case I missed something.  Thanks, Josh

Edited by user 11 August 2020 18:32:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chris42  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2020 19:24:17(UTC)
chris42

I think the first question is to confirm it applies to you. Therefore what does your organisation do ( ie does it work with Biological agents etc as per the HSE link you provided) and was there an accident or defined incident ?

What makes you think it happened at work?br2n

Chris

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:03:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reading beyond the rather confused member profile where every box has been ticked I am seeing the words "site" and "operative" in relation to a construction activity - quite happy to be corrected.

As such infection amongst construction site employees is not a direct consequence of their employment activity and therefore NOT RIDDOR - more likely from mass protest, beach barbeque, holiday to..

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:03:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reading beyond the rather confused member profile where every box has been ticked I am seeing the words "site" and "operative" in relation to a construction activity - quite happy to be corrected.

As such infection amongst construction site employees is not a direct consequence of their employment activity and therefore NOT RIDDOR - more likely from mass protest, beach barbeque, holiday to..

Joshua98  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:38:03(UTC)
Joshua98

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not quite sure why my profile says im part of all these groups as I recall only selecting Construction, Consultancy and Fire Risk Management but oh well... Your assumptions are correct, it is construction related incident. I should have been more specific in my topic.  So my first question has been answered and as such I am do not need to report the incident under RIDDOR which is great.   However, I feel as if my second answer is unanswered and would appreciate if anyone would be able to provide their opinion on the matter. Thanks

Kate  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2020 09:03:29(UTC)
Kate

My interpretation is no to RIDDOR on both counts, as it is not occupational in nature (as it's not related either to biological work with the virus or to working with patients).

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 12/08/2020(UTC)
Joshua98  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2020 10:41:56(UTC)
Joshua98

Thank you for your answers everyone!! Highly appreciated.