Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris Bullen  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2020 06:59:39(UTC)
Chris Bullen

Hi All,

I have been asked to fit a fire shutter to a bakery door. The only concern I have is that there is no other route of exit should there be a fire. Is it saticfactory that there will be a visual/audio panel and obviously a delay before the shutter begins to operate.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

MrBrightside  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2020 09:42:17(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi Chris,

Does the shutter come down when the Fire Alarm goes off?

Having a shutter over the Fire Exit is not a problem if its to secure the building at the end of the day and there is no one inside.

Chris Bullen  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2020 09:51:08(UTC)
Chris Bullen

Hi,

The simple answer is yes. It will be linked to the fire alarm system.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2020 10:43:51(UTC)
Kate

First of all, I am not an expert in this area and will defer to those who are.

However, this does make me uncomfortable. 

The only occasion on which I've seen a fire shutter fitted was between an existing building and an extension which was built on to it. The fire shutter was fitted as part of the fire strategy to prevent fire spread between the two parts of the building, which were linked by a roller shutter door for forklift movements.  The fire shutter came down over the roller shutter when the alarm sounded.  Where the shutter was had originally been a fire exit from the building.  This was taken out of use as a fire escape route and an alternative final exit door put in.  In this case we had plenty of exits from both sides of the building so I wasn't worried about escape.  If it leaves anyone inside with no way out, I would be raising this question too.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
George_Young on 13/08/2020(UTC)
Messey  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2020 19:18:52(UTC)
Messey

I hate saying a definite NO to anything without thoroughly assessing and researching the issue. But for the life of me, I cannot understand how a shutter (or fire curtain) across the soul means of escape can ever be acceptable. Then its the escape route from a kitchen? 

Why are they using a shutter rather than a fire door???

Shutters and curtains are often deployed to protect a means of escape and are only acceptable across an escape route if an alternative escape is available. I have seen curtains (not shutters) that are fitted with an emergency release button with battery back up, but again never across a single MOE. I have seen two across escape routes that spring to mind, but both provided an alternative route:

The first was a retail shop with a staircase with a curtain that deploys to protect the stairs to a posh gentleman’s club/hotel above.Those coming down the stairs couldn't escape via the shop as they would wish to, but would need to continue to the basement and out - so an alternative MOE was available.  

The second was a very long shop with a single 4 storey staircase at the back which could not be protected by normal means as shoppers needed to pass through the 40m long shop unit. In this case, a curtain would deploy across the stairs to separate the shop and stairs, whilst directing customers to a torturous escape route along an external service alleyway. Its was far from perfect but the only solution in this landlocked city centre building. 

Have you seen a risk assessment for this job? The premises FRA will certainly need reviewing and in this case, perhaps doing this prior to installation would be wise. 

The only time I have ever seen close to this was a high security premises with security shutters that dropped rapidly in an attack. Even then, there were overrides and numerous alternative escape routes should a shutter be (accidentally) down during a fire evacuation.

I cannot imagine a bakery having the same security needs as the premises I highlighted above.

Ask the occupier how someone would escape if the shutter is down.  Don't let them fob you off saying there are heat detectors in the kitchen and they act slower than smoke detectors. Its true but irrelevant. If you are not satisfied, either walk away or write (email) your concerns to the customer before proceeding.

Please do come back on here and let us know how you got on

thanks 2 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 14/08/2020(UTC), Kate on 14/08/2020(UTC)