Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colin1984  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2020 12:39:37(UTC)
Colin1984

Hi

Is there any guidance on the grass cutting on slopes and what the maximum slope angle for cutting with a strimmer or Flymo is ?

I appreciate there are other factors to consider in the risk assessment but looking to see if there is any specific guidance around the maximum slope which should be worked with when not on a ride on.

Many Thanks

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2020 12:50:27(UTC)
Hsquared14

Oh cripes - I looked that up last year and now I can't find it.  We have a sound bund bank that our grounds maintenance company used to mow and strim until I saw one of them fall down the slope when it was raining.  Upshot was they now don't mow or strim the slope.

I've got a meeting now but will take another look for it later.

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2020 14:49:58(UTC)
Hsquared14

http://www.apse.org.uk/apse/assets/File/Dr%20Andrew%20Turner%20-%20Session%203.pdf

This is what I used as a starting point but also looked at a lot of other stuff on these forums, over the years there have been about 6 other threads on the subject.  You might also find this one useful as well. https://www.pitchcare.com/forum/view/11015-bank-gradients  it gives the specific gradients for specific types of mowers.

In our case it was a chap with a petrol strimmer and other with a petrol rotary mower.  We stopped having the bank cut and we now have a wildlife haven which is much more appreciated by the staff than the previous manicured but sterile expanse of green.

thanks 3 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Kate on 07/09/2020(UTC), webstar on 08/09/2020(UTC), Colin1984 on 09/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2020 15:28:42(UTC)
biker1

I suppose it depends on how quickly you can run down the slope after the mower!

But seriously, I know many people tackle this on domestic lawns by tying the throttle open and lowering it down the slope on rope, saves having to walk up and down the slope, although this would probably be frowned on in a workplace setting.

This kind of scenario is always going to be a problem, especially when it's wet (although arguably it's not a good idea to cut grass when it's wet). The idea of not cutting it and having a natural feature suggested has a lot of merit. Alternatively, dispense with the grass altogether and cover it with something else, thereby removing the problem. For any but the mildest of slopes, there will always be an issue in having it grassed.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Colin1984 on 09/09/2020(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2020 10:24:08(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

The cutting of grass on slopes will always cause a problem.  I agree that perhaps the best solution is to allow the grass to grow with perhaps the addition of some additional seeding of wild flowers and create a wild life area.  You might even get some good press locally. The alternative solution is that you fence the whole area and allow a local farmer to graze his sheep on it.  That of course raises other issues but it can work, if you are on the M4 heading towards London just before you get to Heathrow, you will see that Thames Water use sheep to keep the slopes around a reservoir in order.  

Edited by user 08 September 2020 10:37:01(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling Error

thanks 3 users thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
webstar on 08/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 08/09/2020(UTC), Colin1984 on 09/09/2020(UTC)
declangibney  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2020 11:50:34(UTC)
declangibney

Hierarchy of controls - eliminate the hazard, plant the bank or create wild area as already suggested. Everyone’s a winner.
thanks 2 users thanked declangibney for this useful post.
Colin1984 on 09/09/2020(UTC), Hsquared14 on 14/09/2020(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2020 19:22:17(UTC)
Alan Haynes

You could always use an industrial remote control mower. (Saw one on TV News programme today)
Self and Hasty  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2020 13:24:25(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Alan Haynes Go to Quoted Post
You could always use an industrial remote control mower. (Saw one on TV News programme today)

Saw a remote control ride on mower on the side of the motorway doing a significantly steep slope, was very impressed with the tech and use.

Wakarisu  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2022 10:12:05(UTC)
Wakarisu

I think a recommendation for mowing a lawn on an uneven soil surface will be relevant for you. If there are many bumps on the site, they need to be cut as short as possible and poured mulch to level the area.