Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chillidogg  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2020 13:27:17(UTC)
chillidogg

I am trying to get away from our paper based system to reduce the filing and befcone even more green as a compan, can anyone reccomend a good  simple to use system?

many thanks

Kate  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2020 15:10:19(UTC)
Kate

What have you got on paper?

chillidogg  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2020 15:36:18(UTC)
chillidogg

Hi Kate

almost everything, some DSE held electronically risk assessments on PC and various reports for accidents Riddor etc but most is in paper form.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2020 07:35:41(UTC)
Kate

Is the stuff on paper stuff that has been previously typed and then printed?  Or generated some other way?

Do you have an intranet?

Gerry Knowles  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2020 09:36:06(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

All of my management system is in electronic form, it sits on our compnay intranet and is accessible by all.  All of my documents bear a unique identity (derived from ISO's) and a version number.  It is simple once you set it up. All of the documents are available to print if required. I have had no problems with it.  

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2020 10:20:13(UTC)
CptBeaky

Not sure what you are after, but would an Excel spreadsheet with hyperlinked cells (linked to the correct documents) work?

Make all the documents password protected, read only (so they can be read but not edited). Have a front page with a basic index (COSHH assessments, Risk assessment, SOP etc.)that takes you to another page in the worksheet with either another index or subcategories. These can then be hyperlinked to the PDFs, word documents, or whatever.

This means that you only need to print off documents as and when required. All requested documents are easily found and can be sent onwards.

This is about the cheapest system available. With a little more knowledge of the creation of macros you can even create lists of RAs to be reviewed that week, inspection dates upcoming etc.

Not sure if this will be too basic, but it works well for the company I work for.