Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddy  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2020 13:57:52(UTC)
Eddy

Hello  All

Hope all safe.  I am looking to set up an excel spreadsheet for analysing all my accidents, near misses and also to work out statistics and identify trends.  Would anyone mind sharing  their excel sheet to give me a start.  Unfortunately not good on excel and would apprecitae a helping hand  Ed  PS Hope all well.

Wailes900134  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2020 14:47:20(UTC)
Wailes900134

Hi Eddy,

I would advise you find someone locally who has expertise in Excel and trust the combination of your interest and their willingness to help you deliver a suitable outcome. Data analysis is a bit of a skill and using someone separated from the ct of safety will help avoid the trap of merely using data to confirm your assumptions too.

Assking safety people to help with excel generally follows the usatisfactory pathh of finding a "one eyed king in the land of the blind", or even worse realising after a month of vigorous thrashing that you've actually both been "fanning the towel"...

Eddy  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2020 14:49:55(UTC)
Eddy

thanks for advice

chris42  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2020 18:07:45(UTC)
chris42

Hi Eddy

What do you hope to get out of any analysis? Are you looking to group accidents by injury type ie eye or cut or burn etc or by accident type ie slip trip fall or fall from height or crush injury? I do record this type of info on a spreadsheet, but we don’t have enough accidents to really get anything much from it. Or are you hoping to get something else from it? If so what?

What you do and how easy it is depends on what you or others want out (garbage in garbage out and all that). Don’t try and create stats for the sake of it. If at some point you want to group all falls from height then you will need your spreadsheet in the same row as the other accident details on the spreadsheet to record “Fall from height” etc. You need to ensure the wording and spelling is consistent to get the sheet to group together when sorted. The categories you set should be easily relatable to the accident type you get, especially if you are to get others to input the info. Learn to use Excel a little at a time and you soon pick up the basics and that way you are in control. It is a good skill to have even if only basic stuff.

But please as above only record what you need, not for the sake of it. Recording info that is never used is a waste of time and effort.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 09/09/2020(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2020 09:09:46(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi Eddy,

I use Excel to do the same thing. Don't be frightened of Excel and what you need to do is quite simple.

If you do a Google search for " Excel Templates" you will find plenty of free ones that you can use or modify to show what you want.

Have a look at using Pivot Tables as this will be your best tool to get the analysis you want.