Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2020 08:37:33(UTC)
craigroberts76

can anyone recommend an online course for harness wearing? I paid and did one last week to check it out and it was terrible.  Nothing more than a few powerpoint slides and limited information.

2 of our ipaf techs are not allowed on a certain site without a harness certificate, despite having passed an ipaf.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2020 11:38:36(UTC)
HSSnail

There are somethings for me that just dont work online - harness training is one of them! - However it sounds like you are saying they know how to use the harness but just need a certificate!

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2020 11:39:43(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would have thought that this was a practical course that didn't lend itself to online training which is why the course you looked at was so poor.

craigroberts76  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2020 14:05:58(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

There are somethings for me that just dont work online - harness training is one of them! - However it sounds like you are saying they know how to use the harness but just need a certificate!

yes the lads have been using harnesses for at least 6 years that I know of and never had to provide a certificate for harness training.

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2020 14:27:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

So if all they have to do is produce a certificate but they are otherwise competent then in some senses the quality of the course is immaterial and just a means to an end.  And people wonder why there is generally such a jaundiced view of H&S in the eyes of the public!

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2020 14:59:06(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

So if all they have to do is produce a certificate but they are otherwise competent then in some senses the quality of the course is immaterial and just a means to an end.  And people wonder why there is generally such a jaundiced view of H&S in the eyes of the public!

LOL thats kind of what i was thinking but dare not say!

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2020 12:03:24(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

LOL thats kind of what i was thinking but dare not say!

I'm retiring soon so I'm on a mission to think the unthinkable and say the unsayable - they can't touch me for it!!!  LOL

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Kate on 25/09/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2020 15:21:14(UTC)
peter gotch

Craig

"not allowed on a certain site without a harness certificate"

I know that some Clients think that they always know best, but sometimes they also have to be pragmatic. Do they actually want the work done, when face to face practical training is difficult to procure in Covid-secure times?

Given that you have implied they have IPAF certification, then I guess that the purpose of the harness is to keep someone inside a mobile elevating working platform basket (fall prevention), rather than for fall arrest. In which case the harness training criteria should be quite limited.

Perhaps you could summarise what you got from your online course and then give them certificates?!?! (or virtual certificates - e.g. emails)

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2020 15:33:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is the request from this site specifically for a named individual training certificate OR is it an examination certificate for the harness itself the site wish to see?

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2020 15:33:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is the request from this site specifically for a named individual training certificate OR is it an examination certificate for the harness itself the site wish to see?