Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benpark15  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2020 08:40:01(UTC)
benpark15

We are providers of assistive technology and install equipment in the homes of people who are generally either elderly, sick or both.

A number of our engineers live in areas which are going into lockdown and therefore shouldn’t travel outside of said area unless they have a “reasonable excuse” to do so. This reasonable excuse could be for work, but should our staff be working in the homes of vulnerable people when the area they live is in local lockdown and therefore, a high-risk area.

We have undertaken risk assessment for working in the homes of our customers and our engineers are undertaking all the necessary steps to reduce the chance of spreading the virus but there are no real guidelines for our type of service and I was wondering what everyone’s take on this would be?

Thanks.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2020 08:45:11(UTC)
Kate

I would say the risk to your end-users of the consequences of not receiving the service you provide should be set against the risk to them of contracting the virus (given all the precautions against this that you have put in place).

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2020 08:55:49(UTC)
chris.packham

I agree with Kate. After all, the concern is that your engineer passes the virus on to the person you are visiting, assuming that they are carrying this.  So the need is to minimise the potential for this to happen. High standard of hand hygiene (appropriate use of alcohol based hand sanitiser to prevent contamination of any surface they touch), correct wearing of good quality face covering, disinfectant wipe of objects handled where appropriate, and social distancing so far as possible should be sufficient to minimise the risk.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2020 11:35:54(UTC)
Hsquared14

This is the very reason why I think that local lockdowns have little chance of doing anything to control the virus.  People move around and unless you tell people not to go to work they will continue to do so.

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2020 12:16:16(UTC)
HSSnail

Ben

I take it you have seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

I agree the guidance on local lock down is not great - and sometimes makes even less sence. I live in a local lock down area - but travel to my "Covid Secure" workplace outside that area and thats fine!