Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matt J  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2020 09:22:25(UTC)
Matt J

Morning All, 

Wanted to see how others are approaching the implementation of the Track & Trace QR codes in the work place, in particular construction sites. Gov.uk states the following....

• a business, place of worship or community organisation with a physical location that is open to the public

As a business we have on site sales outlets attended by the public (appointment only basis) and as such I believe this clearly meets the above criteria. Was interested in views and approached as to the main construction site. 

Thanks 

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2020 09:38:29(UTC)
HSSnail

If you have the public visiting thyen yes you need to keep the Track and Trace details - but does your appointment system not cover all you need?

QR codes are not compulsery - just one way of complying.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2020 09:47:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

There are a large number of mobiles without the correct operating system and Bluetooth version to run the app, if they had tried downloading in the first place.

It needs Bluetooth to work so does your site have everyone carrying a compatible mobile with Bluetooth switched on?

As Brian says the appointment system is a solution that captures 100% of your public visitors

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2020 09:47:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

There are a large number of mobiles without the correct operating system and Bluetooth version to run the app, if they had tried downloading in the first place.

It needs Bluetooth to work so does your site have everyone carrying a compatible mobile with Bluetooth switched on?

As Brian says the appointment system is a solution that captures 100% of your public visitors

Matt J  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2020 10:33:23(UTC)
Matt J

In theory the appoinment process should, that said there may (or not) be visitors that 'knock on the off chance' who may fall outside of our appointment records. 

As you say Roundtuit there are many devices out there that cannot run the app, this is certainly no different for some of our sub-contractors, a handful of which dont even have mobile devices at all let alone a SMART phone with up to date operting systems. Have to say I'm slightly jealous!! 

We already run an electronic signing in/out system on site anyway, my thoughts were the same in that we already capturing the necessary details. 

achrn  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2020 12:43:56(UTC)
achrn

We don't have anyone attending the office except our own employees, and we have a booking and sign-in system for those, but we have obtained and put up QR codes and told people they can scan them if they want to.  It doesn't seem to cause any harm, and took about a minute of filling in details on a web site to obtain.

Edited by user 01 October 2020 15:03:14(UTC)  | Reason: spilling

Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2020 09:04:59(UTC)
Mark-W

Does the system distinguish time?

If I visit my client in the morning and scan their QR code, I leave and go on a site visit in the afternoon but then lets say a manager has a client in for a critical meeting. They scan in, but test positive a week later.

So in effect those in close contact need to self isolate. Is the self isolate notification able to understand that I had no contact or is it a binary system, in effect I was in the office the same day and I have to self isolate.

I can't find anywhere, where it states that the system is clever enough to distinguish this.

Or do I need to cancel my check in when I leave the office? Does that then log a time in and time out?

achrn  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2020 09:41:17(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post

Does the system distinguish time?

If I visit my client in the morning and scan their QR code, I leave and go on a site visit in the afternoon but then lets say a manager has a client in for a critical meeting. They scan in, but test positive a week later.

So in effect those in close contact need to self isolate. Is the self isolate notification able to understand that I had no contact or is it a binary system, in effect I was in the office the same day and I have to self isolate.

The app doesn't identify close contacts by means of the QR codes - it identifies close contacts only by the bluetooth handshaking mechanism, so you won't be told to self-isolate only on the basis of any QR-code scanning by you or anyone else.

The QR codes are used for alerting you and for manual tracing, so in your scenario at most you'd get phoned up and the person will say "did you meet with manager's client on such-a-day at such-a-place?", you'll say "no", and they'll go away.

The app doesn't have any check out function.

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01134

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01312

Edited by user 05 October 2020 09:42:04(UTC)  | Reason: link formatting

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Mark-W on 05/10/2020(UTC)