Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
Michelle Ho  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2020 04:33:48(UTC)
Rank: New forum user
Michelle Ho

A little bit about me, 

I am a registered Safety Officer for 10 years’ experience. I have worked for safety auditing and theatre sector for 5 years. I have got two Master degree, one in Environmental and Public Health, one in Business Management.

I wonder if my experience are recognized, if this is possible to get a related job in UK. As I am planning to move from HK to UK.

To make myself familiar with the UK safety culture, I am also looking for some safety course. However, I have no idea where to start.

I wonder could you please offer me some advice.

Million Thanks.

#2 Posted : 06 October 2020 05:44:51(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

Good morning Michelle, The safety culture in the UK is very variable both by industry sector and size/scale of company. Before taking any specific qualification I would suggest you visit the website of the U.K. Regulator (Health and Safety Executive) at hse.gov.uk and look at the information freely available. This will allow you to understand the background and evolution of our structure of health and safety legislation, which having worked in different sectors and around the globe, I believe is amongst the best constructed in the world. If you look at the relationship of Law/Regulation through its associated Code of Practice to the larger sections of guidance from a perspective of "how could I apply this to be quite good" rather than "what's the minimum I need to do" this will help you ascertain an understanding of what an acceptable application of Health and Safety in the UK looks like today. You will also find sections here by Industry or subject topic area if there are sectors of particular interest. I couldn't comment on how your current qualifications would be viewed but hopefully another user will offer guidance here. Good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
Michelle Ho on 07/10/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2020 10:30:41(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
peter gotch

Hi Michelle

To add to the sensible advice from Wailes, I suppose to some extent considering a course is dependent on what grade of membership IOSH has given you based on your two Masters.

....and what might happen if the current proposals to change the Membership Grades get passed at the Annual General Meeting later this month, as it is possible that the new "APEL" route might enable access to those with courses from HK that IOSH might currently find difficulty in evaluating against English RQF standards.

So, if you could advise what level of membership you have at present, it might be easier to assess what, if any, particular course might be of value to you.

Possibly, all that you need is some structured self-learning (i.e. CPD) to get yourself up to speed with UK legislation, some of which is similar to that in HK. 

Good luck, Peter

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Michelle Ho on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Michelle Ho  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2020 06:07:03(UTC)
Rank: New forum user
Michelle Ho

Thanks Wailes, I will definitely remind myself "how could I apply this to be quite good"

Facing too much uncertainty, I admit that I am lost. Will definitely study the HSE website.

Thanks Peter, Thanks for giving me hopes. Hopefully there is APEL in the foreseeable future.  Luckily I do keep my IOSH membership. Yes, I will definitely do more self -learning.

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.