Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Xtremepmt  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:04:23(UTC)
Xtremepmt

As our FLT refresher training centre has reopened with all COVID19 safety controls in place, including updated RA etc. 

I am in the process of arranging for all my operatos to attend.  Doing this in the max size groups of 3 so that they are training in their own work bubbles so to speaks.  However, some employees are resitant to the training, concerend that we are exposing them to COVID19 in a new enviromnent for training in which they feel that there is no legislative/legal requirement.  Has anyone else met resistance to send employees to an external training venue?  How are you managing it?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2020 20:29:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

So is there an actual legislative requirement for refresher training?

Nope.... just a concept of "best practice" and a concensus for whatever reason at 3 years for FLT.

In normal times they would likely jump at the opportunity for one/two days away from work - in these times you really need to be in touch with peoples concerns.

Last week I had a call informing me to avoid the office as a colleague had a positive test over the weekend, today I get a notification that another colleague from the same office has also had a positive result - related or coincidence we will never know.

This thing is out there, unless it is an absolutely critical activity a lot of "normal" needs to be put on hold.

If these people also drive to work do they also refresh their driving licence on a frequent basis? Nope - pass the test and keep going until you reach the realms of self declaration.

There is nothing programmed in their brain to suddenly loose the ability to drive an FLT because it is 3years since their last test.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 20:32:21(UTC)  | Reason: because....

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 08/10/2020(UTC), aud on 10/10/2020(UTC), Kate on 08/10/2020(UTC), aud on 10/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2020 20:29:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

So is there an actual legislative requirement for refresher training?

Nope.... just a concept of "best practice" and a concensus for whatever reason at 3 years for FLT.

In normal times they would likely jump at the opportunity for one/two days away from work - in these times you really need to be in touch with peoples concerns.

Last week I had a call informing me to avoid the office as a colleague had a positive test over the weekend, today I get a notification that another colleague from the same office has also had a positive result - related or coincidence we will never know.

This thing is out there, unless it is an absolutely critical activity a lot of "normal" needs to be put on hold.

If these people also drive to work do they also refresh their driving licence on a frequent basis? Nope - pass the test and keep going until you reach the realms of self declaration.

There is nothing programmed in their brain to suddenly loose the ability to drive an FLT because it is 3years since their last test.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 20:32:21(UTC)  | Reason: because....

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 08/10/2020(UTC), aud on 10/10/2020(UTC), Kate on 08/10/2020(UTC), aud on 10/10/2020(UTC)
Acorns  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2020 07:15:57(UTC)
Acorns

What really is the concern and can it be resolved.
is it being asked to be retested / refreshed
that there are three together.  - do they group together at there currentbworkplace
are the concerned at the trainer's CV systems compared to yours
arebthey in vulnerablemgroups
how long a delay would the Comseevas acceptable
perhaps communication has led to the reluctance 

CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2020 09:05:38(UTC)
CptBeaky

As a side note, the HSE guidance suggests 3-5 years as an example, 

There is no specific time period after which you need to provide refresher training or formal assessment. However, you may decide that automatic refresher training or a retest after a set period (for example 3-5 years) is the best way to make sure employees remain competent. Where you adopt this approach, you will still need to monitor performance, in case operators need extra training before the set period ends.

It is the testing centres that like to push the "3 year" rule. Given this, maybe just leave it a year?

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
aud on 10/10/2020(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2020 12:45:06(UTC)
Hsquared14

I'm with CptBeaky - no big deal to miss a year so long as you monitor.  We have the same problem but in reverse, we need some additional abseiling training for man up VNA trucks but the provider won't do new training but will do refreshers (?) no really good explanation as to why either.  They have now sent us a COVID 19 questionnaire and they are not happy because we don't temperature test and I can't send our policy to them because being the Civil Service  I can't do that as it is a protected document.  So it looks like we can't get our new staff trained and our old staff refreshed.  In 17 years of having this kit no one has every had to be wound down or use the abseil kit to get out so do we need to train annually?