Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
georgiaredmayne  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2020 19:09:26(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi, Bit of a unique situation we have on site. We have a ladder which is essentially partially submerged in water (depending on the water levels) all year. Our site is a quarry and in order to access the bottom of the quarry a fixed ladder is required to be climbed. The normal range of water depth is a high of around 18m around Easter and a low of 11m around September. As summers get hotter we are seeing a decline in water level, the actual drop is anywhere between 2m-9m again depending on the season. The reason for access is that we have a jetty at the bottom of the quarry so we aren’t actually going into the water at any time. At present we are looking for a safer option to get to the bottom of the quarry particularly when we have a greater fall distance however the issue is that most equipment would be submerged in water for a period of time. Another issue is that we will have potentially up to 10 people at a time who may need to access the bottom of the quarry so whatever fall arrest is in place would need to be able to be brought back up to the top to allow others to get down. Does anyone have any experience with fall arrest equipment in relation to in or near water or can potentially point me in the direct of a potential solution? Thanks
stevedm  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2020 06:29:08(UTC)
stevedm

I implemented a system like this one in Germany on three projects ...but they were permanent ladders so not sure if this is the same as the rail was part of the ladder...

https://www.safety-height.co.uk/products-services/glideloc-ladder/

georgiaredmayne  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2020 19:22:58(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post
I implemented a system like this one in Germany on three projects ...but they were permanent ladders so not sure if this is the same as the rail was part of the ladder... https://www.safety-heigh...ervices/glideloc-ladder/
Thank you will certainly look into that.
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2020 07:49:43(UTC)
HSSnail

Sorry i dont understand why you need to get to the jetty? Is it only accesable via teh ladder or if the flooded part of the quary (im guesing thats the case) is accessable form another area can you use a boat?