Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Messey  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2020 06:07:44(UTC)
Messey

I travel across the UK and often further afield in my role as a Fire Safety Advisor. 

Since Covid, my employer has agreed to a number of fire safety related changes to protect our staff and protect business continuity issues. These range from suspending fire drills indefinately to promoting additional e-learning & live on-line learning/training rather than face to face sessions.

But as the UK now is becoming fragmented in terms of restrictions, I am assessing how to safely travel to sites safely, and in particular project work (new builds/renovations) and fire risk assessment reviews. I have pretty much suspended most, but not all, overseas work.

I am working on several significant projects. Three in particular are time critical and contruction work continues. I have been using video conferencing platforms for some meetings, but some site work is essential. I am driving to 90% of sites

The FRA reviews are problematic. I have delayed some, but feel uneasy in delaying further - perhaps 6 months or more - which in the case of a few sites, will make the reviews 12 months late!!! I am not sure I can justify that. Some buildings are large and complex. One-way systems have been introduced and storage of bulk alcohol hand sanitiser supplies are two covid related risks that really should have triggered a review weeks or months ago.

1. So for those here who regularly travel, what measures have you taken to look after yourself and reduce the risk of spreading the virus? 
  2. Has anyone suspended or delayed FRA reviews or found an alternative solution? (Hiring local consultants is not possible for technical reasons)

Thanks

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2020 11:03:40(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Messey

You have been missing (and thence missed) for a couple of recent fire-related threads!!

"One-way systems have been introduced and storage of bulk alcohol hand sanitiser supplies are two covid related risks that really should have triggered a review weeks or months ago."

I would have thought that these specifics could usually be done without visiting.

The sites should be able to provide drawings and perhaps walk through videos to illustrate how Covid one way systems impact e.g. escape routes.

Similarly, they should be able to provide specifications for bulk sanitiser fire-resistant storage arrangements (including maximum stock) and drawings/photos to show how these are located.

Difficult times and doing any overseas trips right now subject to whatever whim the Government(s) next have as regards restrictions on travel and/or quarantine at destination or on return!! (inclusive of restrictions within the UK).