Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevinstewart  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2020 10:24:47(UTC)
kevinstewart

A client of mine has a number of aluminium hop-up work platforms, that he uses in the building trade, are these acceptable or as I believe require some kind of  edge protection?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2020 10:53:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are the hop ups so tall someone could physically stand underneath them and be at risk of items inadvertently kicked from the platform? To answer the question you need to understand why a control measure has been implemented. In this case a hop up is too low.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2020 10:53:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are the hop ups so tall someone could physically stand underneath them and be at risk of items inadvertently kicked from the platform? To answer the question you need to understand why a control measure has been implemented. In this case a hop up is too low.
kevinstewart  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2020 09:40:04(UTC)
kevinstewart

Roundtuit  the Hop-upd are aproximately 60 to 70 cm in height 

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2020 10:46:40(UTC)
peter gotch

Morning Kevin

Are these hop-ups that would be fitted to a scaffold platform - I am assuming probably not, but if yes, then you would expect the same standard of edge protection as for the platform.

If simple platforms erected at ground level, similar to a podium step, then you have to consider what is reasonably practicable.

Long, long ago, I investigated a fatal accident where someone fell about 1500mm from a trestle scaffold (not dissimilar in concept to a hop-up). This was before the old 2m rule which applied to most work at height was removed.

These days it's much easier to recognise that you have to consider the task to determine what is reasonably practicable. 

So, for some short duration tasks, I could see an argument for saying that it is not reasonably practicable to provide edge protection on a hop-up where the potential fall is only 600-700mm, but for other tasks e.g. requiring both hands to manipulate a bulky or heavy item, I think that it would be reasonably practicable to look at some inherently safer means of access and workplace.

So, it's a grey area.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
kevinstewart on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2020 11:12:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: kevinstewart Go to Quoted Post

If you search the internet hop-up platforms at this height do not have edge protection even from major "ladder" manufacturers such as Youngman.

Very occassionally you may find one with a hand rail but not edge protection toe-boards

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kevinstewart on 07/10/2020(UTC), kevinstewart on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2020 11:12:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you search the internet hop-up platforms at this height do not have edge protection even from major "ladder" manufacturers such as Youngman.

Very occassionally you may find one with a hand rail but not edge protection toe-boards

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kevinstewart on 07/10/2020(UTC), kevinstewart on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Gibkey39489  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2020 10:15:59(UTC)
Gibkey39489

A client of mine has a number of aluminium hop-up work platforms, that he uses in the building trade, are these acceptable or as I believe require some kind of  edge protection?

Yes, these are acceptable. The use is  obviously subject to risk assessment and series of control measures. Generally short duration work, trip free zone, firm base, temp rail off windows or stairwells if standing on hop up reduces the existing cill/ stair rail to less than 1m.

Im assuming the hop up platform is a one step high and not a beer keg which everyone loves to use.

thanks 1 user thanked Gibkey39489 for this useful post.
kevinstewart on 08/10/2020(UTC)
toe  
#9 Posted : 20 October 2020 23:07:13(UTC)
toe

Kevin, we allow these to be used by internal trades such as electricians, amies tapers, painters, joiners etc. to gain a 'step up' access to complete a slightly high-level work. However, they need to be a type with BS approval; for example, the plastic steps purchased in a local superstore are not allowed in our organisation. Hop-ups cannot have any edge protection as this itself would present a trip hazard. Although some do have hand rails.

Are these acceptible or not is entirely up to the Principle Contractors site safety rules - some allow them (we do) and some dont.

thanks 1 user thanked toe for this useful post.
kevinstewart on 21/10/2020(UTC)