Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paraandy  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2020 11:46:20(UTC)
Paraandy

Morning, 

Im one of three face fit testers at my workplace, however i've reluctantly refused to test as the company is passing employyes with beards and heavy stubble. We work in the construction sector and are using JSP disposable  masks.

I understand the legal/moral position, but dont share my employees rather poor attitude to  an extremely important procedure. I'm also ex Army so can be strict when it comes to procedures.

Do you feel im being unreasonable?, i estimate 15 have been passed under current testing conditions.

GerryT  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2020 12:14:48(UTC)
GerryT

You are spot on, face fit testing should be taking place unless clean shaven.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2020 08:25:26(UTC)
Kate

Beard or stubble in the area of the seal disqualifies the wearer from even having a face fit test in the first place, and invalidates the use of a close fitting mask.

These tests should not be taking place and the results are not valid.

I raised the very same question some years ago on this forum and the most helpful point that someone made was that just because the droplets containing the taste compound don't get through, doesn't mean that the actual hazardous materials you want to protect from (not usually in droplet form) don't get through.

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2020 08:57:35(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Paraandy Go to Quoted Post

Morning, 

Im one of three face fit testers at my workplace, however i've reluctantly refused to test as the company is passing employyes with beards and heavy stubble. We work in the construction sector and are using JSP disposable  masks.

I understand the legal/moral position, but dont share my employees rather poor attitude to  an extremely important procedure. I'm also ex Army so can be strict when it comes to procedures.

Do you feel im being unreasonable?, i estimate 15 have been passed under current testing conditions.

Andy

I'm not a face fit tester but with you 100%. We have both been in the chamber and understand the reasons behind clean shaven. Like you I've served and like rules. They bring order to our lives. 

You are right with your stance, how would the other testers feel if they signed off a test and then that person died due to a badly fitting mask.