Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2020 16:20:26(UTC)
SammyK

Hello,

Has anyone come across the following? A manager from our company tested positive for COVID and isolated for 10 days, their household isolated for 14 days. The Manager returned to work on day 11 and their daughter has now tested positive for COVID. Am I right when I am telling them they need to self isolate for 10-14 days again. The daughter has not been anywhere so the likelihood is she caught it off of him/at the same time.

Thank you!

Mosh  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2020 22:17:31(UTC)
Mosh

They do not need to isolate again. The guidance says: "If you remain well, you can return to your normal routine at the end of the 14-day period. You do not need to isolate for longer than 14 days, even if other household members develop symptoms during this period. However, the person with new symptoms should now self-isolate for 10 days. People in the household who remain well after 14 days are unlikely to be infectious."
SammyK  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2020 23:32:34(UTC)
SammyK

Can I ask where you got this information from please? Gov guidance is if someone from your household test positive you all self isolate. Was just wondering if they’ve changed it again and this is the new guidance. Thanks
Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2020 09:32:59(UTC)
Alan Haynes

It is in the Government Guidance. The relevant part says:-........ Returning to your normal routine If you remain well, you can return to your normal routine at the end of the 14-day period. You do not need to isolate for longer than 14 days, even if other household members develop symptoms during this period. However, the person with new symptoms should now self-isolate for 10 days. People in the household who remain well after 14 days are unlikely to be infectious. https://www.google.co.uk...aw0VW98yCjqVgODSC0aEMmqY

Edited by user 15 November 2020 10:17:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2020 07:27:31(UTC)
Mark-W

I think there is a bit of confusion her with the terminology.

I'd say self isolate again. The wording is no ned to self isolate if another member of the household develops symptoms. But in actual fact the family member has a positive test result. Those are 2 diffeent standards, showing symptoms is completely different to having a positive test result

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2020 08:25:31(UTC)
HSSnail

very confusing i agree - i note Boris has isolated again as Test and trace has informed him he has been in contact with someone tested posative for covid. The guidance should give an indication of how long after being teststed poastive for covid you are excempt from isolation. Unfortunatly i dont think we know how long immunity lasts.

Kate  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2020 08:41:31(UTC)
Kate

Why was the daughter tested - did she have symptoms?  And did this occur during or after her 14 day isolation period?

HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2020 12:13:57(UTC)
HSSnail

Intersting Graph on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922 which supports Alans post - yes i know its the BBC so should not be viewed as an absolute.

Heather Collins  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2020 12:29:12(UTC)
Heather Collins

The section people are quoting above is from the part of the guidance that talks about those who are self-isolating for 14 days becasue someone else in their household has symptoms or a positive test. It is important to read the right section of the guidance here and I agree it's not clear!

You need to scroll down further and read the bit with the large heading "After the islation period has ended". This is the relevant section and yes they all need to isolate again IF the daughter has ended her 14 day islation period. As Kate said above, this timing is important. Here's the quote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

If someone else in your household becomes unwell

If anyone in your household develops COVID-19 symptoms after their isolation period has ended, they should arrange to have a test and everyone in the household should follow the steps in this guidance again, even if they have had a positive COVID-19 test in the past.

SammyK  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2020 15:10:06(UTC)
SammyK

Kate- the dad was COVID positive, no-one else in the household was tested, however they did ioslate for 14 days. The daughter started to develop symptoms on day 13 of isolation so had a test and was told she was COVID +

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

Intersting Graph on the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922 which supports Alans post - yes i know its the BBC so should not be viewed as an absolute.

SammyK  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2020 15:15:45(UTC)
SammyK

thanks for all the feedback! test and trace have confirm that the only person who needs to isolate is the daughter who is now COVID + the words of test and trace are:

Returning to your normal routine

If you remain well, you can return to your normal routine at the end of the 14-day period. You do not need to isolate for longer than 14 days, even if other household members develop symptoms during this period. However, the person with new symptoms should now self-isolate for 10 days. People in the household who remain well after 14 days are unlikely to be infectious.

Heather Collins  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2020 15:45:13(UTC)
Heather Collins

Originally Posted by: SammyK Go to Quoted Post

Kate- the dad was COVID positive, no-one else in the household was tested, however they did ioslate for 14 days. The daughter started to develop symptoms on day 13 of isolation so had a test and was told she was COVID +

This timing is the clincher. If the isolation period had ended, then the clock resets and they all start again. Because it was still in the 14 day isolation period only the daughter is affected.  Does seem illogical that the father (and the rest of the family) can now carry on as normal while in daily contact with someone who has Covid though doesn't it!

thanks 1 user thanked Heather Collins for this useful post.
Kate on 16/11/2020(UTC)