Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leethorne  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2020 13:25:15(UTC)
leethorne

Any recommendations on vendors who can provide support in remote DSE assessments (ideally through an e-learning platform), and support to the home user in completing a self risk assessment? 

A simple google search throws up a large number of offerings, however it's better if recommended through experience. The preference is to use a vendor to support, rather than circulating existing templates for completion.

Many thanks for any potential pointers.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2020 16:31:12(UTC)
peter gotch

Lee - what do you want to achieve?

My only experience of such an e-learning and assessment platform was one in which the training was a rehash of HSE guidance and the assessment designed to generally avoid flagging up any issues, especially as regards home working.

There have been several discussions over the last few months about DSE in the home environment on both the Public and Members' Forums and from my perspective, it would probably be more sensible to try and deal with people as individuals rather than attempting to apply a one size fits all package.

This is particularly the case if some people see such a package as being convenient for the employer and not designed to encourage them to raise concerns. If those same people are simultaneously concerned about potential job losses, they may be very unwilling to rock the boat.

All of which means that I think that the number of legal cases for not adeuately addressing people's home health and safety in relation to home working is likely to significantly rise.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2020 21:46:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most employments I have ever been involved with always involved someone working from home albeit limited numbers compared to this unique year (MD, FD, Sales Director / Manager etc.) - what suddenly changed at your organisation that from apparently having no one requiring a "domestic" assessment you now need external resource to address a 28 year old regulations?

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2020 21:46:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most employments I have ever been involved with always involved someone working from home albeit limited numbers compared to this unique year (MD, FD, Sales Director / Manager etc.) - what suddenly changed at your organisation that from apparently having no one requiring a "domestic" assessment you now need external resource to address a 28 year old regulations?

craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2020 09:09:38(UTC)
craigroberts76

We've got a couple of the office staff working from home as they can, and the rest of us in as not all our jobs can be done remotely.

I started off with a google forms based questionnaire asking all the relevant information about desk, chair, lighting, heating, welfare, equipment safety, fire precautions etc, and then worked on that info.  We also have a DSE course that we have distributed to them which is e-learning but quite basic really, however its better than none and due to covid a home visit isnt really ideal.

I do have 1 staff member who is just refusing to do the report and wont explain why and I have now got management involved to try and persuade them to do it.  In my mind, if you cant be bothered to fill out about 15 questions then you cant work from home safely, covid or no covid.

leethorne  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2020 09:11:46(UTC)
leethorne

Thanks for the comments.

The intention is to bolster what has been completed previously (in-house training and assessment) with a pilot to determine if feedback improves on the approach, which I hope would be more collaborative and less "one size fits all".  Some suggestions on solution providers would be great.

craigroberts76  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2020 09:41:41(UTC)
craigroberts76

if its an e-learning course you are looking for then email for details and pricing - craig@besafenorthwest.co.uk , I think they start off at £13 a person, not sure if thats what you mean.

aud  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2020 21:24:35(UTC)
aud

Loughborough University ergonomics website www.openerg.com offer loads of free guidance on workstation set-up, plus free good (if a bit long) self-assessment checklist which can be emailed back to user.

Admittedly it is a bit old-school illustrations, and does not specifically cover laptops or home adaptations (like ironing board desks!) but it asks the right questions and has good provenance.

Osmond ergonomics used to do a good pictoral sheet of posture with laptops. 

If you are providing laptop risers, a keyboard and mouse, most people can achieve a reasonable posture at any table. Chairs are the main problem area. I do NOT want a huge office-type chair in my house thanks. I'll get my own from a Swedish outlet store.

Best solution I heard was to provide every home worker with a £150 pot to use to set themselves up to suit. This can be combined with guidance as above and what types of kit can be bought from whom. We have to become expert in all of this, not rely on forcing old-style standard solutions. It is important to offer telephone help to people having problems or aches & pains, to try to resolve these before they become real health risks.

Don't forget the ancillaries - multi-adapters, RCD devices, smoke detector. 

leethorne  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2020 09:50:01(UTC)
leethorne

Thanks Aud and CraigRoberts. Your advice is much appreciated.