Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mersey  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:12:01(UTC)
Mersey

I had a question from a supplier relating to the potential use of a flammable propellant that our company wishes to use. They asked what our standard site “acceptable risk level number” is? 

I assume it is something to do with ALARP and COMAH but unsure

Does anyone know what this is it refering to? We are not a COMAH site and as far as I am aware don't have a risk level number for site. I'll be honest I have never heard of it before

Many thanks

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:18:24(UTC)
stevedm

It could be a number of things sounds like they may be referring to the Dow fire and explosion index which has a risk ranking for products. If you pm me the product I may well be able to add something further. Not sure what volume you have but the volume would be the bit where comah may come in.
thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Mersey on 17/11/2020(UTC)
chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:23:53(UTC)
chris.packham

I suspect that their health and safety system is based on some method that produces a magic risk matrix with numbers and they would like to know where to place your product so that they do not have to do a risk assessment themselves. If they then used it incorrectly and had a problem they could then blame you for giving them and invalid number.

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:42:26(UTC)
HSSnail

My 1st thought was like Chris that it was for the Risk assessment matrix - but you say this is a supplier so I am not so sure, can you not go back and ask them to clarify what they want?

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Kate  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2020 11:57:11(UTC)
Kate

Never heard of it in my life and I did use to work on a COMAH site full of flammables.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2020 12:08:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Start with where in the world the supplier is based - in France I seem to recall a number system relative to hazard and quantity from their derivation of SEVESO

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mersey on 17/11/2020(UTC), Mersey on 17/11/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2020 12:08:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Start with where in the world the supplier is based - in France I seem to recall a number system relative to hazard and quantity from their derivation of SEVESO

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mersey on 17/11/2020(UTC), Mersey on 17/11/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2020 13:21:16(UTC)
peter gotch

Mersey

You won't find anything on the HSE website which talks about some magic acceptable risk number in relation to ALARP, EXCEPT for a discussion on levels of tolerabity of risk in Reducing Risk, Protecting People - R2P2.

You won't find anything in the COMAH Regulations or the HSE guidance on same about some magic acceptable risk number!

So, I'm with the previous advice. Ask the supplier what they are talking about!

P