Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevinmuir  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2020 14:27:01(UTC)
kevinmuir

Find myself in the scenario where we have 4 out of 6 employee working on same site have tested positive for CV19. However, it remains unclear on the infection trail as to how this came about and if this was initally contracted whilst at work. What makes it more awkward is we were working within a hospital environment carrying out refrubishment works and we have not been informed if any other contractors have also tested positive though.

My understanding is where 2 or more people test postive within 14 days having worked in the same workpalce then it becomes reportable by definition as infectious disease and an 'outbreak'.

Started to draft out the RIDDOR but looks like you have to do individual reports for each case.

Anyone on here actually reported Covid cases yet?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2020 15:07:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

You should only make a report under RIDDOR when one of the following circumstances applies:

an accident or incident at work has, or could have, led to the release or escape of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). This must be reported as a dangerous occurrence

a person at work (a worker) has been diagnosed as having COVID-19 attributed to an occupational exposure to coronavirus. This must be reported as a case of disease

a worker dies as a result of occupational exposure to coronavirus. This must be reported as a work-related death due to exposure to a biological agent

Refurbishing contractors (even in a hospital environment) are NOT occupationally exposed so NOT RIDDOR

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kevinmuir on 17/11/2020(UTC), kevinmuir on 17/11/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2020 15:07:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

You should only make a report under RIDDOR when one of the following circumstances applies:

an accident or incident at work has, or could have, led to the release or escape of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). This must be reported as a dangerous occurrence

a person at work (a worker) has been diagnosed as having COVID-19 attributed to an occupational exposure to coronavirus. This must be reported as a case of disease

a worker dies as a result of occupational exposure to coronavirus. This must be reported as a work-related death due to exposure to a biological agent

Refurbishing contractors (even in a hospital environment) are NOT occupationally exposed so NOT RIDDOR

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kevinmuir on 17/11/2020(UTC), kevinmuir on 17/11/2020(UTC)
hopeful  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2020 15:15:58(UTC)
hopeful

You need to report to PHE/Local Health Authority not under RIDDOR. Only under RIDDOR if it is known that it is likely to have come from the workplace because of work or a failure of process - there is guidance re this on the HSE website. If you google reporting to PHE you should be able to locate a poster which gives instructions around this.

SammyK  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2020 10:29:51(UTC)
SammyK

Hi Kevin, I had to report to PHE recently, they assess the information included in email and then send you a pack- it's actually a really interesting read and incredibly helpful, letter templates etc. I contacted them on:

phe.nwl@nhs.net I heard back off of them the same day. Happy to answer any questions if needbe!

kevinmuir  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2020 21:18:34(UTC)
kevinmuir

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I got a bit of misinformation from another source but having double-checked this I did confirm that in this case it wasn't RIDDOR reportable.

As this happened in a hospital environment the local health authority were made aware of it.

It doesn't appear to be an obvious requirement to report these in Scotland as it is in England via PHE. However, I have emailed Public Health Scotland to clarify and ensure we have fulfilled our requirements.

My concern came about from a company we work alongside who had 2 unconnected (differing sources) cases within 10 days and PHS allegedely came along seemingly fairly heavy handed suggesting they would ask HSE to attend. With all the frequent changes in guidelines I think I just got a bit lost there about RIDDOR.