Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alf999  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2020 10:40:22(UTC)
Alf999

Hi,

I have a friend who is a school governor.  He has been searching for suitable H&S training for Governors and possible the school's senior leadership team.  He has come across IOSH Managing Safely and is aware of the syllabus.  He's asking if it will be suitable for the roles mentioned.  I've looked at the syllabus and yes it certainly is in my view from a general understanding of responsibilty perspective.  However, I've never attended or delivered the course so not sure if the content is skewed toward construction, manufacturing etc.  Can anyone who has experience of deliveing the course please give an opinion on suitability for school governors in terms of content type/industries covered etc

Much appreciated 

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2020 12:54:38(UTC)
HSSnail

Alf999

As an ex vice chair of school governours - and someone who delivers the Manageing Safely course I can say that the course is not intended to be for 1 particular industry. It is a very good course to give an all round view of H&S, with examples from many areas with some good practical session's., but none specificaly about education. If your friend has little or know H&S experiance it would definatly benifit him or her.

As with any course a lot depends on how its delivered. The first thing i do on any course id try and find out a little about my candidates before they arrive and make sure i have examples that will make sence to them. Unfortunatly because of the length of the course it can be quit expensive to take - one reason we brought it back in house - its part of my remit to undertake staff training anyway so now we just pay IOSH for our licence and cours material certificates etc.

The course can be undertaken online much cheaper but unfortuantly that would mean that there would be no chance of any education examples.

Alf999  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2020 13:05:55(UTC)
Alf999

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

Alf999

As an ex vice chair of school governours - and someone who delivers the Manageing Safely course I can say that the course is not intended to be for 1 particular industry. It is a very good course to give an all round view of H&S, with examples from many areas with some good practical session's., but none specificaly about education. If your friend has little or know H&S experiance it would definatly benifit him or her.

As with any course a lot depends on how its delivered. The first thing i do on any course id try and find out a little about my candidates before they arrive and make sure i have examples that will make sence to them. Unfortunatly because of the length of the course it can be quit expensive to take - one reason we brought it back in house - its part of my remit to undertake staff training anyway so now we just pay IOSH for our licence and cours material certificates etc.

The course can be undertaken online much cheaper but unfortuantly that would mean that there would be no chance of any education examples.

Hi Brian,

That's very useful information that I'm sure will help him.  I'm pretty sure he'd been quoted £400 per delegate for the course which is a lot of money for a school.  Hence, he's doing as much research as possible before committing.  I looked myself and prices were all £350 plus here in the north east.

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2020 13:29:07(UTC)
HSSnail

Does not supprise me ALP999 and yes it sound expensive to begin with. 

remember there are 22 hours contact time with the students, plus exam and project marking and adminitration, I look at about 35 hours to run a course - then you have to pay for your licence each year and a fee to IOSH for each candidate to have a work book and certificate (compulsery). Because of the practical session i always limit my course to 12 people.

For lots of course providers they wont get work every day so they have to price a days work with that in mind.  Compare it to some of the HSE lab courses and its a bargin!

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Alf999 on 18/11/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2020 16:54:13(UTC)
peter gotch

Alf

If you go to the IOSH Trainer Directory and scroll down you will find there are several course titles about Managing Safety/Safely in educational settings.

Some of these may be versions of the standard MS course, some might be entirely different and the only way you could find out which does what is by finding out what the course providers advise is within their syllabus.

As to price, well £350-£400 is quite cheap for a three or four day course (even if you ignore the chunk that goes to IOSH for certification and licensing).

Whether a school governor needs this depth of training is another issue. Your friend is a governor, not a school head or deputy head!

aud  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2020 20:25:33(UTC)
aud

I recommend the NCRQ version - online only, 2 day equivalent, much more pragmatic than IOSH MS. Educates via case sudies, one of which is in a school, although all scenarios are relatable to most people.

I found IOSH (the game thing?) based on a construction site very off-putting. It was 6 years ago.

I thought there was a 2 day version of IOSH MS specifically for schools, but even so, I would still recommend the NCRQ especially as governers are not really expected to be active in H&S management, just apply oversight. As Peter said.

Zyggy  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2020 12:59:02(UTC)
Zyggy

If the school comes under the control of its Local Authority, then I would make some enquires with its Corporate Health & Safety team to see if they can provide a tailored course that would best benefit school governors. I appreciate that this may not be the same as a "certified" course, but it will probably be more relevant & a lot cheaper! I used to run such courses when I worked in an LA & the feedback was always very positive.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 20/11/2020(UTC)