Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamese100  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:20:43(UTC)
jamese100

Hi all 

I am a safety co-ordinator and have been tasked with a project revamp accident polices, procedures, processes and reporting forms 

Q. Should the following questions be included into an accident investigation form? 

1.Loss time i.e (missed the next shift or next days work) 

2.Treatment provided 

3.Injury severity e.g. minor injury, severe injury. 

4.RIDDOR reportable 

Q2. Are the following reporting catergories correct? Should i include safety observations / interventions and property damage?  

1.Accident 

2.Incident (fire, flood, gas leak, asbestos disturbance) 

3. Near Miss 

Many thanks 

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2020 10:46:33(UTC)
HSSnail

Your system your choice James

I would say they are all good examples of what needs to be considered in an investigation. Do you know what your accident trends are? This may help you put somthing more specific around those areas to help you reduce the incident.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2020 13:26:10(UTC)
Kate

Those are all valid and useful things to include.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2020 17:05:35(UTC)
peter gotch

James - good advice already given.

Another thing to consider - what you want reported and what you want investigated (particularly in greater depth).

I have always advocated that the decision to investigate should primarily be determined on the basis of potential severity of outcome rather than what actually happened.

This doesn't mean that all the types of event you mention don't deserve some thought as to preventing recurrence, but sometimes you might do this quickly without a "formal" investigation.

jamese100  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2020 08:28:12(UTC)
jamese100

Thank you to all that have replied. 

The intenal debate has now moved into the reporting categories on the accident report form. 

Is there offical categories used across the industry / HSE? I currently have Accident, Incident, Near Miss. Should there be Safety Observations? Somebody has mentioned the accident triangle?

Another hot topic is my incident catergory. This category includes fire, assualt, flood, gas leak, asbestos disturbance, vandalism, Security. Is it normal practice to have an incident catergory? should these items be mixed into the accident and near miss section or could thye fall into a property section?  

My categories could look like this - 

1.Accident 

2.Near Miss 

3.Incident 

4. Safety Observation 

OR 

Accident 

Near Miss 

Safety Intervention 

Property Damage 

Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for your support 

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2020 09:12:40(UTC)
HSSnail

James

Your right the HSE has its own set categories, but i think its important to know what you are trying to achieve with the system. I think the use of "accident reporting" can be very confusing, Incident reporting can cover a wider range of issues.

What you record will vary depending on your "industry" so for example I have Verbal and Physical Abuse on my system - but them some of my collegues work closely with the public.

I also have Vehicle Damage - which you could argue is a near miss - but for us it makes sence to have it as a seperate category.

So think about your reasons for recording information, is it just for statistical reports, is it for finacial reporting, is it as Peter says to assist in determining the level of investigation (i would suggest all incidents need investigating but for many this will be a few seconds work becuase of the low potential outcome or licklyhood of recurrance) then devise your system to make it as convienient as possible to report and for you to get your information.

Edited by user 18 November 2020 09:13:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kate  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2020 10:53:48(UTC)
Kate

My suggestion is don't overcomplicate it.  Just have the classifications that will be useful for you.  No need at all to follow anyone else's.

Partly this depends on scale.  If you get lots and lots of reports (as a big company might), then you may benefit from more classification to help sort out what is going on and produce a summary for management.  If you only get a few reports, then it's easier to see what is going on and your reporting may be more narrative (these are the things that happened and why) rather than statistical (here are some tables and pie charts showing the breakdown of incidents).

If you log all the reports on a spreadsheet it is quite easy to add classifications later on if there is some particular analysis you want to do (such as how many incidents there were relating to asbestos).

jamese100  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2020 21:45:13(UTC)
jamese100

Thanks all 

One last question 

Does anybody know the classification for an injury that occured, but the employee continued their duties?  

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2020 22:26:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

From your OP item 3 "minor injury" - major or severe would result in a period of absence from the workplace either as a result of seeking treatment (hospital) or convalescence from such injury

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2020 22:26:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

From your OP item 3 "minor injury" - major or severe would result in a period of absence from the workplace either as a result of seeking treatment (hospital) or convalescence from such injury

chris42  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2020 10:09:01(UTC)
chris42

Agree with Roundtuit if they are able to carry on it would be "Minor". If at a later date it was found further problems where not apparent at the time then just re classify it.

I once before being involved in H&S knew someone who was climbing down off the back of an articulated lorry trailer using the side protection bars. he slipped through the two bars and broke his leg and didn't realise the pain was actually a break. Then went back to his desk and worked for the next three hours, everyone else had gone home and he realised he could not stand up and had to phone his wife to come in and get him. No one could believe it, but it happened.

Chris