Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lishka0  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2020 16:29:53(UTC)
Lishka0

Apologies but I am no asbestos expert and I have a query on when a ful R&D survey is required for minor works in a property. I was always told a management survey was fine for daily management of a property but refurbs need a full R&D survey for such small minor works such as drilling a hole. Now there are other controls in place such as management surveys, property archetypes, asbestos awareness (also Cat B trained trades), safe sysems of work, stopping work if suspect, using Asbestos Essentials etc

Would their still be a need for a full R&D survey in place for drilling a hole or can there be other factors or context that would need to be considered to help with this? Would sampling the area be an option or would the need for a full R&D survey be essential?

kmason83  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2020 18:40:32(UTC)
kmason83

Drilling a hole is not refurbishment or demolition so no you won't need a full R&D, how much drilling are we talking here I mean are you putting up a picture or? 

Refer to your managment survey amongst other things for risk level but I am curious as to who is giving this advice and do you have anyone with asbestos competance?  If you know you have asbestos and you don't know what is what I can reccommend an extremely reliable company who I have worked with for 10 years I have a contact if you want to PM me. 

With asbestos you need to know what you are doing before you go driling and an R&D is the extreme end of that but I certainly would not have one done for drilling a hole I would have gone to my other control measures first.

thanks 1 user thanked kmason83 for this useful post.
Lishka0 on 05/12/2020(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2020 08:52:39(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Do you know for certain what you are drilling into? Management Surveys aren't as intrusive  as an R & D, and will quite often only survey the surface, not anything behind it. The register should indicate any limitations to the survey. You could have a targeted R & D depending on the nature of the works being undertaken. If you know you have asbestos present, please seek competent advice. If this is possibly going to become part of your regular work, maybe have a look at the BOHS P405 qualification, I did it a few years ago coming in with no asbestos experience, it has been a huge help.

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2020 10:25:45(UTC)
HSSnail

I agree you need to be very careful with asbestos - but this sounds like a task that the HSE asbestos essetials was designed to cover. https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a1.pdf Unless there is more than we are being told.