Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pdurkin  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2020 15:18:25(UTC)
pdurkin

Does anyone know of any recent changes in the building regulations(BR) regarding removal/supression of Artex(asbestos) in houses i.e. the stippled ceilings pre-1999?

Apparently my newly moved in neighbour has the plasterers in toremove/renoate his artex ceilings becase of a BR reqirement !!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2020 15:28:52(UTC)
peter gotch

Sounds like someone has gone on a sales pitch.

Firstly it might be artex but not have any asbestos. Not sure when, but they stopped putting asbestos in most, if not all, textured paints in the UK well before 1999.

So, the first step would be to decide what condition the artex is in.

Then, either leave it undisturbed or get a sample.

Then, refer to the HSE guidance which varies according to how much disruption is likely.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2020 20:47:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would love to see which part of the Building Regulations or their associated Approved Documents demand we retrospectivley conduct any action.

As Peter says someone is on a sales pitch. My first question "show me the specific line in the regulation that..." 

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2020 20:47:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would love to see which part of the Building Regulations or their associated Approved Documents demand we retrospectivley conduct any action.

As Peter says someone is on a sales pitch. My first question "show me the specific line in the regulation that..." 

pdurkin  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2020 14:42:33(UTC)
pdurkin

Agree,

All,I can think of is that the action was fom a home survey i.e. 'suspect asbestos' and to get the sale the plasterer was instructed to make the artex'-SAFE'

biker1  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2020 14:50:22(UTC)
biker1

From my understanding, if it is sound condition, i.e. not crumbling, and has not been, or will not be, disturbed, then it is safe. There can be far more risk involved in removing it unnecesarily. 

HSSnail  
#7 Posted : 16 December 2020 15:59:45(UTC)
HSSnail

I did not think Building Regulations were retrospective so could not be used to "remove artex".  When i bought a house 30 years ago it was wall ties that were always quoted - was on my purchase report even though it was a victorian house so had never had wall ties! Today i think asbestos is the new wall tie. Not saying it should not be treated lightly but any house byers survay on a pre 2000 house will probably say "may have asbestos in the property"

Gerry Knowles  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2020 10:35:27(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

We were thinking of selling our house a couple of years ago.  It was built in 1980 thinking there may be some asbestos in the Artex or elsewhere I had an asbestos survey done.  The surveyor tested the Artex in every room and in selected locations the walls in every room.  He also looked around for historic asbestos in fuseboards, distribution boxes, around the boiler etc.  I was fully expecting to have asbestos somewhere, how wrong I was.  There was no evidence of any anywhere.  So it just shows as early as 1980 some builders were clearly not using it. So don't assume it will be present.  

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
Kate on 17/12/2020(UTC)