Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Billy.Latham  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2020 10:51:59(UTC)
Billy.Latham

I have a small wall on private land which drops 12 foot on one side.  This wall has been in situ for years but has recently had works done to the ground on one side.  Can anyone let me know what the minimum height should be for external stone walls.

craigroberts76  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2020 11:01:11(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: Billy.Latham Go to Quoted Post

I have a small wall on private land which drops 12 foot on one side.  This wall has been in situ for years but has recently had works done to the ground on one side.  Can anyone let me know what the minimum height should be for external stone walls.

minimum height? I have a wall in the garden thats 3 bricks high, 

Billy.Latham  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2020 11:21:06(UTC)
Billy.Latham

Originally Posted by: craigroberts76 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Billy.Latham Go to Quoted Post

minimum height? I have a wall in the garden thats 3 bricks high, 

Thanks but I have staff who will access this area and I dont want an accident.  Was thinking of raising anyway but did not know what the minimum legal height was

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2020 11:22:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

well there are no regulations specific to this and as far as I know no British standards etc. BUT is still has to be SAFE. The definition of SAFE probably depends on where it is and it would be different for a private garden and an infants school. Some sort of risk assessment taking into who is likely to be around it and the location maybe even time of day.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2020 12:09:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

From a personal perspective if this wall is low enough to trip or tumble over I would have a railing system fitted so that the top of the rail was a minimum of 1.1 metres above ground level.

Approved Document K (Protection from falling, collison and impact) of the UK Building Regulations gives pointers.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2020 12:09:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

From a personal perspective if this wall is low enough to trip or tumble over I would have a railing system fitted so that the top of the rail was a minimum of 1.1 metres above ground level.

Approved Document K (Protection from falling, collison and impact) of the UK Building Regulations gives pointers.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 16 December 2020 12:17:42(UTC)
peter gotch

Billy 

There are at least two potential risks:

Someone falls from a higher level from one side because the wall drops on the other. That may be covered by both Building Regulations and/or the Work at Height Regulations [assuming you are in the UK], though in each case "grandfather rights" may apply to enable a lower height of edge protection than would be expected by modern standards (with the heights being increased to take account of people getting taller).

The wall collapses, possibly as a result of the recent works you mention - could have presented "temporary works" requirements at the time, but may have weakened the structure so that it is less capable of withstanding static or dynamic loadings.

See amongst other guidance https://www.gov.uk/guidance/your-garden-walls-better-to-be-safe#:~:text=Garden%20and%20boundary%20walls%20should,of%20death%20by%20falling%20masonry

Dave5705  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2020 07:44:21(UTC)
Dave5705

Billy, I agree with my colleagues, you are right to take action.

The discussion is twofold really, of which the first is easy. A 12-foot drop with insufficient guarding is a risk to health and safety. It is a one-sided 12 hole in the ground! Even if the person who falls down it is a trespasser, they are still a dead trespasser (potentially). Depending on your world view, you may have opinions on this, but if that trespasser were a child?

If you are going to make it safe, why would you consider anything other than best practice and use older (and thus less safe) standards?

chris42  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2020 09:06:36(UTC)
chris42

NB that is not just a wall it’s a retaining wall (sounds like a tv advert). You may want to consider getting professional opinion before just building it higher. A higher wall will now add to the horizontal load on the wall especially if someone falls on to it.

You said the ground has been altered on one side, but not how. Has the ground either been reduced even more on the 12-foot side or made higher on the other side and thus reducing the existing wall height relatively, but increasing the force on the wall?

You may want to put a separate railing up not attached to the wall, opposed to just making the wall higher.

Good on you for wanting to do what is right.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/12/2020(UTC)
Billy.Latham  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2020 10:53:24(UTC)
Billy.Latham

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

NB that is not just a wall it’s a retaining wall (sounds like a tv advert). You may want to consider getting professional opinion before just building it higher. A higher wall will now add to the horizontal load on the wall especially if someone falls on to it.

You said the ground has been altered on one side, but not how. Has the ground either been reduced even more on the 12-foot side or made higher on the other side and thus reducing the existing wall height relatively, but increasing the force on the wall?

You may want to put a separate railing up not attached to the wall, opposed to just making the wall higher.

Good on you for wanting to do what is right.

Chris

Thanks for the advice guys.  Was going to raise it but I'll look at the retaining wall aspect too.

Cheers all.