Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JHF  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2020 09:34:54(UTC)
JHF

Hi all, when inducting contractors on site - what should we be asking for, public or employers liability insurance certs (or both!). Thanks.

hopeful  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2020 09:41:07(UTC)
hopeful

You should look for both, decide a level that is acceptable to you considering the risks.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2020 12:24:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Depends on what these contractors are doing at your site. In all cases you want to know they have cover for their employees.

If they are conducting work that could impact your employees or site visitors e.g. construction or refurbishment works then you want to be able to lay any public claim at their door for their acts or omissions.

So by example:

for a photocopier engineer I would want employers liability

for someone re-surfacing the car-park I would want public and employers liability

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2020 12:24:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Depends on what these contractors are doing at your site. In all cases you want to know they have cover for their employees.

If they are conducting work that could impact your employees or site visitors e.g. construction or refurbishment works then you want to be able to lay any public claim at their door for their acts or omissions.

So by example:

for a photocopier engineer I would want employers liability

for someone re-surfacing the car-park I would want public and employers liability

jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2020 12:25:58(UTC)
jodieclark1510

We ask for both, PI is a nicety unless providing advice, then we have a minimum cover  to be met prior to approval.

JHF  
#6 Posted : 22 December 2020 14:10:22(UTC)
JHF

all - many thanks for your feedback. Seems both would be the overall answer; public as an add-on (where needed).

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2020 08:30:32(UTC)
Acorns

Surely it would be the except rather than the rule for a business not to require SQ8ipublic liability cover. Quite hard to think when it wouldn't be need to be honest. Obvious but one to remember, employers liability is only required if there are employees, so single tradesperson or consultant wouldn't need it.  

Edited by user 23 December 2020 08:31:15(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2020 09:06:27(UTC)
HSSnail

Public Liability is not a legal requirement - but i do agree it would take a very brave person to run a company without it!

Mark-W  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2020 17:39:40(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post

Surely it would be the except rather than the rule for a business not to require SQ8ipublic liability cover. Quite hard to think when it wouldn't be need to be honest. Obvious but one to remember, employers liability is only required if there are employees, so single tradesperson or consultant wouldn't need it.  

I'm also sure that if you have employees and they are close family members you do. not require employers liability either.

Acorns  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2020 23:03:10(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post

I'm also sure that if you have employees and they are close family members you do. not require employers liability either.

yep, they all have to be close - there is a list of course and it can't be a limited company.