Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2020 11:44:50(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, I'm looking for some help on working at Height on stairs. I have shared an example of the type of access required, I'm wondering if it would require a proper pasma type access or some sort of ladder. The work requires access to the meters as can be seen in the picture. The access time would be around 2 hours worst case and takes around 1 hour on average. Struggling to find any guidance on this. Struggling to add a picture on the forum so have added a link to my Google drive picture
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2020 12:38:49(UTC)
peter gotch

Dude

I am assuming that this is probably a one off and not typical of scenarios you may be dealing with?

This looks like an installation where it is probable that in the past the electrician or meter reader might have just propped up a ladder from staircase to the meter housing and has relied on the structural condition of the housing to stop both housing and ladder collapsing.

[Reminds me of a fatal accident where someone fell down a stairwell whilst trying to access a roofspace - the housing around the access point gave way when a ladder was propped agasint it]

Looks like there are two meters which suggests that this is supplying two flats.

Whatever is done is going to effectively prevent safe access including emergency escape from the flats above.

So, in the medium term it seems to me that the most likely appropriate solution is to get the electricity network provider to move their incoming supply and the meters (and all the other electrical equipment) to somewhere which is inherently easier to access.

[but in line with the rules in place to deter unauthorised access - so locked housing and/or sufficiently high - but not TOO high to enable safe access by the authorised].

In the short term this could be done with a proprietary lighweight scaffold with PASMA trained people as you suggest - but this would mean blocking off most of the staircase.

Not easily resolved.

toe  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2021 01:45:34(UTC)
toe

Type 'oxford' 'stairwell' and 'system' into you preferred search engine and you will find a solution.  Other systems are available.