Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2005 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katiem Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of guidance regarding the use of fitness/gym equipment, such as weights benchs, rowing machines, running machines, punch bags , things like that. Now, the situation is that members of staff do not use this equipment, but it is uses in recreational therapy for clients using social care services. So, other than PUWER and the duties to maintain etc is there any other guide note, information (apart from manuafactures instructions etc) that I should know of when it comes to keeping this equipment compliant and safety to use. My particular concern is that of punch bags suspended from the ceilling. Also, that there are no trained instructors, client are free to used these facilities in there free time. Any thoughts would be warmly welcome. Many thanks in advance. Regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2005 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark B Katie, As always the answer is in risk assessment! However, here are a few things you may wish to consider. Is this area supervised? If not and only one person was using the facilities and was injured or become ill, how long would it be before help arrived? Do these clients receive training in the use of the equipment? if not the chance of an accident must increase. Also on this point your inspection and maintenence program should be in line with manufactures guidance, however this is usally for normal use. If the Clients are unsupervised and untrained how can you ensure the the equipment is used correctly i.e. normal use? Are there any first aiders on site? or can someone contact the emergency services? Are the clients aware of these procedures? What level of insurance is required and is it in place. Are these clients subject to a medical questionaire before they are allowed to use the facilities? Who installed the equipment. Who will carry out regular inspections and maintainence and what is their competency for doing this? hope this is of some help. Regards, Mark.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2005 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Mark is right! But it is obviously easier to say that do - I am a member of a gym and this is one aspect they fall down on all the time - even to the point of fixing little numbered signs on each machine to identify them - the signs were in the shape of a birds wing with very sharp points! They also recently did a shower mixer replacement and guess what? They replaced a good standard trade-type mixer with a cheap B&Q device that has a fancy lift and turn handle on it - so when you shower, you bump it with your elbow and suddenly scalding water comes out! Examples of a lack of basic risk assessment and experience. the club also falls down on maintenance of the machines as they only fix them when they are broke! All this could easily be managed better and give the members a better experience, all for the want of a little more expertise and application of our well-known basic H&S principles. has anyone else noticed a general decline in standards in the leisure industry? Should IOSH have a group to tackle some of these types of problem? George
juliadavid  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2021 06:54:56(UTC)
juliadavid

I started Gym a month ago. I'm learning fitness related things day-by-day like what food is good for my body and what diet should I take. One of my gym partner give me a protein bar candy. The product name is Built Bar. Do these products have any side effects?

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2021 08:44:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

reported

New Year same old rubbish

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 04/01/2021(UTC)