Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fitzcosta38496  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2021 11:43:48(UTC)
Fitzcosta38496

Does anyone have any thoughts on making site visits during lockdown as a health and safety consultant?

Roy Jones  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2021 11:58:14(UTC)
Roy Jones

Personally, i will be following the Goverments guidance, if at all possible, work from home, however if a site visit is necessary, that`s what i will do (obviosly following Covid procedures).

Edited by user 05 January 2021 11:59:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fitzcosta38496  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:14:06(UTC)
Fitzcosta38496

It's really interesting as I can't really find any facts or data apart from Gov.uk. Construction seems to just carry on including site visits from Health and safety people.

One would image its back to basics and providing the company has risk assessments in place then it would be seen as "ok"

Have Health and Safety Consultants been deemed as key workers?

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:30:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Fitzcosta38496 Go to Quoted Post

Not by our local school.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:30:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not by our local school.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2021 13:13:24(UTC)
chris42

Where does it say that only “Key workers” should go to work? The rules remain if you can not work from home then you can go to work, unless you work in an industry/ profession that has been asked to close.

So plastic gnome manufacture is still allowed.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
aud on 12/01/2021(UTC)
Fitzcosta38496  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2021 16:07:46(UTC)
Fitzcosta38496

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Not by our local school.

What about a Legionella Risk Assessor in schools?
Fitzcosta38496  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2021 16:12:33(UTC)
Fitzcosta38496

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Where does it say that only “Key workers” should go to work? The rules remain if you can not work from home then you can go to work, unless you work in an industry/ profession that has been asked to close.

So plastic gnome manufacture is still allowed.

Chris

I love the gnome comment, Exacty my point.....
Fraser38932  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2021 19:45:09(UTC)
Fraser38932

Does anyone have any thoughts on making site visits during lockdown as a health and safety consultant?

Follow government advice and visit cosntruction sites, but taking care of yourself when doing it. If there is nothing in place on site then there are immediate problems that you will face!

firesafety101  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2021 15:19:47(UTC)
firesafety101

If as according to current guidance site workers have received h&s training, especially site managers they can carry out site inspections on their smart phone and send the results to the h&s manager or safety Director.

If there are serious issues then the safety officer could visit the site.

Mark-W  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2021 08:43:22(UTC)
Mark-W

As a consultant my work hasn't been affected. I attend clients site and abide by their rules if they are higher than my own. If I feel I need to wear a mask I will.

1 of my clients provides day car in a SEN environment but they are not a school. They have been told by several of the councils they provide services for they are to open and the councils have issued a template letter to give to staff to carry with them when on way to/from work. Locol Police have been stopping and fining people in their area. And my company have issued me with the same letter so that I can travel to/from site safely and know that I won't get fined