Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ninjawarrior  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2021 15:24:18(UTC)
ninjawarrior

The current weather is not helping when wearing full ppe with a face covering. I'm either fogging up constantly or my hearing protection is getting tangled with my face covering ear loops. I was hoping that I would be able to get some advice on a face covering that doesn't cause more hazards, with the current PPE required to be worn. To be clear, this is eye protection, hard hat and hearing protection.

I have trialled a few different face coverings, FFP masks are a last resort as do not want to waste masks that are not required for the work. 

chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2021 15:45:48(UTC)
chris.packham

Forget masks needing face fit and separate visors, etc. Check out PAPR (positive air pressure respirators) devices that use a pump to feed highly filtered air through a hood and over the face. More effective, much more comfortable and no need for face fit testing. If you need some contact points for these PM me. Chris (chris@enviroderm.co.uk)

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2021 08:38:01(UTC)
HSSnail

Ninja

Why are you wearing face coverings? Remeber they are to protect others not the person wearing them and are not PPE (sorry stuck record). What are you doing? If the face coverings are fior covid - are you not able to maintain a covid secure workplace?

If you truly need PPE you should have been wearing it even before teh pandemic.

MrBrightside  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2021 10:11:41(UTC)
MrBrightside

I am assuming that you are wearing a face covering due to social distancing not being possible in the work envrionment that you work in. We have the same situation where some jobs require two people to work close to one another and face masks needs to be worn.

You can get some sprays which will stop the eye protection from fogging or as someone who wears glassess I would recommend putting some medical tape at the top of the mask securing to the face or pulling the mask up enough that the glassess sit over the mask (not always comfey).

In terms of hearing protection getting in the way, are ear plugs an option? This would depend on noise levels etc