Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roundtuit  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2021 22:35:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654229

Some people will always be assessed as unsuitable for current vaccines (not only Covid). 

What kind of responsible employer talks about making vaccination a contractual obligation?

Those who issue PQQ's and contracts based upon fair and ethical treatment of employees may wish to take another look at your tick box questionnaires to ensure you engage with truly responsible contractors.

Tomorrow morning a few more questions will be appearing in my employers PQQ.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2021 22:35:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654229

Some people will always be assessed as unsuitable for current vaccines (not only Covid). 

What kind of responsible employer talks about making vaccination a contractual obligation?

Those who issue PQQ's and contracts based upon fair and ethical treatment of employees may wish to take another look at your tick box questionnaires to ensure you engage with truly responsible contractors.

Tomorrow morning a few more questions will be appearing in my employers PQQ.

John Murray  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2021 08:21:35(UTC)
John Murray

That guy has never been a responsible employer. The best description of him, that I can print here, is "bully".

It's just another ruse to get business.... "all our employees are covid-free" (ignoring the reality of body and/or clothing contamination)

thanks 1 user thanked John Murray for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 15/01/2021(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2021 08:27:54(UTC)
HSSnail

I note he also says he will pay for the vaccine - good luck with that i dont think there will ba any on the open market for quite some time. We looked at offereing the standard flue vaccine to our staff this year - and could not get the vaccine for love nore money because the NHS had first call on it all.

I will leave makeing vaccination as a condition of employment to the lawers - they will make a fortune out of it im sure.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2021 09:22:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

He is exactly the sort of ill-informed, “my way or the highway” , obnoxious git that has made the British economy what is today- a total disaster area and laughing stock.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2021 10:20:07(UTC)
CptBeaky

I am pretty sure that no business can force someone into having a medical procedure against their will. I know our government can't, hence vaccines not being mandatory.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Holliday42333  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2021 10:38:57(UTC)
Holliday42333

He has been quoted that he is not forcing anyone, just that they cannot have a job with him if they dont.

Isn't this basically the approach he used regarding uniforms and vans previously (for subbies)?

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
Kate  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2021 11:05:41(UTC)
Kate

There are some work activities for which employees are sometimes required to have vaccinations or other medical precautionary treatment, such as work with hepatatis risk and overseas travel 

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
jonc on 18/01/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2021 11:06:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A uniform or a van can’t make you ill. Where I worked previously, we had containment level 3 laboratories, where we insisted that people have certain vaccinations before they were allowed to work there but this was a condition of employment i.e., you told that of you wanted work in those labs needed the jabs, but we never insisted on them  retroactively, in fact we got rid of some of the vaccinations as they were not worth the side effects.  

Blanket Covid 19 vaccination like this hard to justify especially since we are not sure how long the protection will last.

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2021 12:04:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post
There are some work activities for which employees are sometimes required to have vaccinations or other medical precautionary treatment

But ALWAYS voluntary.

Mrs R has tried several times with the Hep B vaccine because of her employment - it has never taken.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
John Murray on 15/01/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 15/01/2021(UTC), John Murray on 15/01/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 15/01/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2021 12:04:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post
There are some work activities for which employees are sometimes required to have vaccinations or other medical precautionary treatment

But ALWAYS voluntary.

Mrs R has tried several times with the Hep B vaccine because of her employment - it has never taken.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
John Murray on 15/01/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 15/01/2021(UTC), John Murray on 15/01/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 15/01/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 15 January 2021 12:39:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2021 12:39:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

John Murray  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2021 12:58:41(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Is that a negative test for the current virus, or all virus, or bacteria?

Or a negative test for intelligence?

thanks 1 user thanked John Murray for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2021 13:13:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

When-will they be testing you? Will it be as you enter, or will you need some proof  that you had a test (RT-PCR or LFD) and evidence  that you have self isolated since the test  to make sure you havn’t picked up the infection somewhere else. Also, how often will they test their own staff because visitors can also claim the right that they are entering a “covid safe workplace”. Has anybody looked at their “risk assessment “ and seen if it is  any good?   

Dazzling Puddock  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2021 17:32:31(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

I really do not think that he understands what the vaccination is for and what it does and more importantly does not do and unfortunately neither do a lot of the public!

thanks 1 user thanked Dazzling Puddock for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/01/2021(UTC)