Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevecollins  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2021 15:45:38(UTC)
stevecollins

Hello everyone

Im looking for some opinions on PPE requirements for angle grinders when used to cut metal. I suppose Im trying to get an idea on what the industry standard is. The obvious ones in my opinion are suitable gloves, safety glasses, face visor, hearing protection, RPE, flame retardant clothing, steel toe cap boots. 

Has anyone used arm guards?

Thanks!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2021 16:54:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would suggest a look at the manufacturers instruction manual - for CE equipment they are meant to provide suitable information for the safe use of a product they place to market.

Glasses and a visor is overkill - impact resistant eye protection would be a minimum

RPE would depend upon where the task is being undertaken - ideally it should be an engineering control which leads to why use an angle grinder is there not something more suitable with in-built LEV?

Flame Retardant clothing is again overkill - heavy duty fitted long sleeve overalls would be ideal.

Safety footwear is only appropriate where heavy items are likely to be dropped - if they are waving the grinder at all angles and using it at all heights forestry boots would offer more protection against cuts

Angle grinders are by design a two handed piece of equipment what are you envisaging that would have the cutting disc turned back towards the operator necessitating only arm guards?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2021 16:54:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

I would suggest a look at the manufacturers instruction manual - for CE equipment they are meant to provide suitable information for the safe use of a product they place to market.

Glasses and a visor is overkill - impact resistant eye protection would be a minimum

RPE would depend upon where the task is being undertaken - ideally it should be an engineering control which leads to why use an angle grinder is there not something more suitable with in-built LEV?

Flame Retardant clothing is again overkill - heavy duty fitted long sleeve overalls would be ideal.

Safety footwear is only appropriate where heavy items are likely to be dropped - if they are waving the grinder at all angles and using it at all heights forestry boots would offer more protection against cuts

Angle grinders are by design a two handed piece of equipment what are you envisaging that would have the cutting disc turned back towards the operator necessitating only arm guards?

stevecollins  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2021 07:55:14(UTC)
stevecollins

Hi "Roundtuit"

Thanks for the reply.

RE the mentioned PPE. The current PPE used is in line with the manufacturers instructions. As the work is carried out on metal the flame retardant coveralls are more resistant to sparks and the boots to protect from falling materials following cuts. The Visor is there in case of workpiece or disc projectiles. I was asked a question around arm guards when using grinders. I have experience in metal fabrication and had never heard of them being used with grinders. Your absolutley right about the 2 handed controls of an angle grinder and hence the importance of operator control and discipline when using power tools as oppose to reliance on PPE. 

Holliday42333  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2021 10:32:45(UTC)
Holliday42333

I would always advocate a visor AND glasses.  There are plenty of real life examples of shattered discs penetrating far enough through a visor to still cause injury.  

Visor to take out most of the penetration; glasses to further protect eyes.