Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chainy79  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2019 00:38:01(UTC)
Chainy79

Just wondering if there are any ways to get my company directors to see the value of having a permanent H&S officer. The current role is being made redundant. With all the auditing and compliance needed in our work place I feel it is a full time position. Also I would like to further my career in H&S.
Dave5705  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2019 05:18:37(UTC)
Dave5705

I'm not clear. Are you saying you are the H&S person and you are being made redundant, or the current H&S person is being made redundant and you want the job? If the latter, redundancy means they believe there is no need. If they felt they needed him then they would be required to keep him in post. Either way, there's nothing there to apply for.

Edited by user 04 September 2019 05:19:56(UTC)  | Reason: tryping error

mihai_qa  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2019 05:57:03(UTC)
mihai_qa

Fiduciary duty usually > being proactive.

SNS  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2019 20:50:28(UTC)
SNS

Do a cost / benefit analysis on employing a person, including capitation (employers costs such as National Insurance etc). It might be less expensive for the company to hire in consultants on a retainer.

In my view employing a person is more beneficial as the company can then load them with more hats, consultants (generally) will only do what is contracted

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2019 22:10:04(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I faced a similar position when I worked for a company on a 2 month contract a few years ago, the companies P.A. did all the health and safety and after my contract expired, continued to do several jobs, despite the company trading in 2 countries (UK / USA). 

O'Donnell54548  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2019 06:55:52(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Uncomfortable I know, but maybe they did not see any value of a full time H&S Officer because then did not GET any value from having a full time H&S Officer????

Chainy79  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2021 06:34:46(UTC)
Chainy79

Originally Posted by: O' Go to Quoted Post
Uncomfortable I know, but maybe they did not seeany value of a full time H&S Officer because then did notGET any value from having a full time H&S Officer????
Been a while now since I left. I feel I have learned more about health and safety and what is necessary to make employers understand their duties under health and safety law. I have also learned how much I also did for my previous company. My eyes have been truly opened.
thanks 1 user thanked Chainy79 for this useful post.
achrn on 21/01/2021(UTC)
Chainy79  
#8 Posted : 21 January 2021 06:39:13(UTC)
Chainy79

Originally Posted by: mihai_qa Go to Quoted Post
Fiduciary duty usually > being proactive.
I couldn't of been more. The company could have. My eyes have been opened since leaving.
peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 21 January 2021 13:33:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Stujitsu

Thank you for returning and updating us.

When you think about it there are probably lots of things that you can put in your CV as a result of your experiences that you might not have considered including before.

Be careful not to damn the company you were working for. So, it might be a case of putting experience in to its own box not directly aligned to any specific employer.

Chainy79  
#10 Posted : 21 January 2021 14:13:06(UTC)
Chainy79

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
StujitsuThank you for returning and updating us.When you think about it there are probably lots of things that you can put in your CV as a result of your experiences that you might not have considered including before.Be careful not to damn the company you were working for. So, it might be a case of putting experience in to its own box not directly aligned to any specific employer.
Hello Peter. I never would. I learned many things whilst working there. But yes very good tip.