Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2021 11:37:04(UTC)
SammyK

Good Morning All,

I was wondering whether I can sound off to you all about this? I am lucky enough to have an interview in the next few weeks, and, I have to give a presentation- which is really not my strong point. To ensure I am answering the question correctly I was wondering whether you can advise?

The question is: Outline the challenges you would expect to encounter in a HSE role- I am answering this with: Employee engagement, Shortcuts/ignoring rules, Supervisor participation

I was then going to try and talk about industry specific- MOD. Does this sound like I am answering the question correcty?

thank you in advance for all your help as always!

Alan Haynes  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2021 12:17:32(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Management buy-in?
Kate  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2021 12:29:59(UTC)
Kate

Reading the job description can sometimes give you clues as to what they think the answer to this question should be.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Evans38004 on 21/01/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2021 13:27:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Sammy

Some thoughts.....

Whenever you get a new job there's a learning curve when you find out how the organisation ticks both as a whole and at different locations.

Sometimes, you might have lots of experience of the sorts of processes that organisation does, sometimes not, which means a need to recognise that you don't know everything. So that should help you consider how you would interact to work to optimal solutions.

MOD - security considerations, at different levels depending on where you are and what is being done. 

But remember that the interviewers are not looking for THEIR solution to the question they have asked you to present on. They are looking for YOU to answer the question.

Which means that WE should not be trying to over influence you!

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2021 14:11:34(UTC)
HSSnail

Doing more with less cash! We all know that money spent on H&S is money well spent - but often the benifit is hard to show short term. Does the company undretake any exports? Lots of potential challanges as we move away fro EEC directives to our own rules.

Ron Hunter  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2021 15:47:10(UTC)
Ron Hunter

The MOD is a pretty broad Church, so I won't attempt specifics. My key advice to you is to accentuate the fact that challenges can be positive, anticipated and embraced.

Without background info. I've no idea where the part of the MoD you're applying to actually is in terms of compliance and culture, or where they strive to be - their Policy Statement might be available to give you a clue, and there might be some other stats. and indication of major hazard issues.

In short, find out what you can (phone them and ask if they say you can in the advert - show initiative!) and accentuate the positive nature of those challenges and how they might be addressed via a modern health and safety agenda (and don't forget relevant ill-health issues)  - which you are of course ideally placed and qualified to take on!

HSE and IOSH publish long term plans and objectives (IOSH 2022 just out) - you should get some pointers there.

afergusson12  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2021 11:53:04(UTC)
afergusson12

Hi Sammy

I think the most important topics are the ones you feel pasionate about. I may be  wrong but if you were presenting to me I would be looking for:

• your passion for the subject
  • your topic knowledge
  • your awareness of topical issues - gift is currently Covid-19 - management & control of this hazard
  • how well you communicate 

More than anything keep it simple.

Good luck