Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
afergusson12  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2021 11:26:42(UTC)
afergusson12

So if a person is working remotely at a customer site for a number of days (staying in the area) devlops Covid symptoms should they:

• Stay at that location and self isolate?
  • Return home to get tested?

Then the same question but in this instance they get a positive test result while away

Kate  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2021 12:33:21(UTC)
Kate

My interpretation of the English regulations here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1045/regulation/2/made

is that they are required to stay where they are:

(3) in paragraph (2), “self-isolate” means P is subject to the following restrictions—

(a)P must remain in—

(i)P’s home;

(ii)the home of a friend or family member of P or of R where P is a child; or

(iii)bed and breakfast accommodation, accommodation provided or arranged under section 4, 95 or 98 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999(1) or other suitable place;

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 25/01/2021(UTC), afergusson12 on 25/01/2021(UTC)
afergusson12  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2021 11:23:45(UTC)
afergusson12

Hi Kate

I agree that if the person is working near to home then yes the need to isolate is as quoted:

(a)P must remain in—

(i)P’s home;

(ii)the home of a friend or family member of P or of R where P is a child; or

(iii)bed and breakfast accommodation, accommodation provided or arranged under section 4, 95 or 98 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999(1) or other suitable place; 

A person working and staying away from home during the week is not in accomodation provided under the quoted legislation. SO this still leaves the dilema. Do they stay in B&B with no support or drive home (without stopping) to isolate at home.

I still don't know which is the best option or what is required.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2021 11:30:50(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It still does not answer the  question of how they get home if they are found to be positive while away from home. Are they meant to stay where they have been tested until it is safe for them to leave or can they go home risking spreading the infection on route?

Kate  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2021 11:37:33(UTC)
Kate

But if they are staying away from home, which is what I thought the case was, then they are presumably in (iii) bed and breakfast accommodation.  Bed and breakfast accommodation is listed in (iii) as one of the places you should stay; it doesn't refer exclusively to the special accommodations mentioned.  If you break it down, (iii) is saying

- They should stay in their B&B if they have one

- They should stay in their immigration / asylum accommodation if that's where they are being accommodated

- They should stay in another suitable place if they aren't at home, in a B&B or in immigration / asylum accommodation

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2021 13:04:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

But if someone books into a B&B for week and tests positive during that time there is no obligation on the B&B suppler to give them accommodation for the 10 days of self-isolation.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 25/01/2021(UTC)
afergusson12  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2021 13:16:33(UTC)
afergusson12

There is part of the problem, would the B&B want someone to be isolating in their property - where would they get food and necessities?

I absolutely agree we MUST follow the guidance, but I don’t think the guidance is clear