Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
forrestereddie1@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2021 16:08:10(UTC)
forrestereddie1@gmail.com

HI,

I have joined a fire and security company and have a question regarding the transport of fire extinquishers.

The lad deliver new extinquishers to sites and install. Do they come under ADR as I,am reading that they are exempt if packaged.

594 The following articles, manufactured and filled according to the regulations of the manufacturing State and packaged in strong outer packagings, are not subject to the requirements of ADR: - UN No. 1044 fire extinguishers provided with protection against inadvertent discharge; it is considered that the original cardboard box supplied with a new extinguisher is suitable and marked with the following UN Number 1044 

Thomas Baxter  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2021 08:09:33(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Hi,

If they are fitted with a device or pin to stop accidental operation (presumably they are) and packed in a strong robust outer package (fibre board box), ADR does not apply for the carriage.

However, if you have a person who is going around checking fire extinguishers and fire alarm testing etc and they're carrying a few spare extinguishers as replacements then the exemption 1.1.3.1 (c) would be better if the undertaking was involved in the servicing of the items.

I would go with 1.1.3.1 (c) for the servicing or fitting of extinguishers as some sort of property management service. If you were supplying Halfords with 200 car fire extinguishers then special provision 594 could be applied. 

Regards,