Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2021 13:42:15(UTC)
craigroberts76

I've just found out that our manager has brought in an outside company at the weekend to fog the offices.  I was off duty and no staff were in the offices at the time, so not to worried about what or how it was done.  But the cleaner complay claims it lasts up to 30 days of protection.  I was in the mind set that it could kill off anything in the room at the time (virus wise) but as soon as someone enters the room that protection is now obsolete, each time the touch a desk and potentially infected, that becomes a hot spot of infection... does anyone know if these claims are true?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2021 13:57:57(UTC)
A Kurdziel

pointless fogging of indoor space or even outdoors is old hat. the new snake oil is those arches that spray you as you pass through them.

I an just waiting for someone to promote the inoculating ability of crystals 
chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:27:38(UTC)
chris.packham

From the HSE:

Do not spray people with disinfectants (in a tunnel, cabinet, or chamber) under any circumstances. Spraying a person could be harmful and does not reduce the spread of the virus. This is because transmission is usually through droplets or contact. 

Attempting to disinfect someone in a disinfection system or device has no impact on the spread of the virus because droplets are created when people talk, cough or sneeze.

Says it all really!

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:35:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

I have been presented several times with these "fog" systems to consider - when the supplier is asked about the biocidal registration (because they tend to make biocidal claims) many were never heard of again.

The newer "products" have realised they need to be careful about the accuracy and wording of their claims e.g. one I can think of stated it was a non-hazardous "nano-material" whose spiked structure disrupted the envelope causing the virus to die - non-hazardous and nano-material are not in the same sentence according to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).

Even the more reputable ones with true "actives" in their system tend to say one thing when selling the application "harmless, quick, easy, long lasting" and a different story "keep area clear of personnel, do not breath vapour" when they are merrily spreading their gunk around your location.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:35:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

I have been presented several times with these "fog" systems to consider - when the supplier is asked about the biocidal registration (because they tend to make biocidal claims) many were never heard of again.

The newer "products" have realised they need to be careful about the accuracy and wording of their claims e.g. one I can think of stated it was a non-hazardous "nano-material" whose spiked structure disrupted the envelope causing the virus to die - non-hazardous and nano-material are not in the same sentence according to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).

Even the more reputable ones with true "actives" in their system tend to say one thing when selling the application "harmless, quick, easy, long lasting" and a different story "keep area clear of personnel, do not breath vapour" when they are merrily spreading their gunk around your location.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:49:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

and of course the manager presented you with the current Safety Data Sheet for the substance or mixture used and the COSHH assessment regarding application within the office all generated before fogging commenced, or are they hoping you will do it retrospectivley and not identify any issues

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:49:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

and of course the manager presented you with the current Safety Data Sheet for the substance or mixture used and the COSHH assessment regarding application within the office all generated before fogging commenced, or are they hoping you will do it retrospectivley and not identify any issues

craigroberts76  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:59:37(UTC)
craigroberts76

exactly.... told nothing about it until today by the cleaner.  Awaiting on the answers to "so what RPE did you use that filters of atomized disinfectant?" and "how did you know that the electrical equipment and servers left on were not going to set alight or explode due to vapourised liquids entering them?"

weldmar  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2021 16:40:09(UTC)
weldmar

I work in the healthcare sector and we 'fog' a room as the first part of the cleaning process, this merely reduces the viral load in the air at that point in time allowing the cleaners to enter a less hazardous environment. Re. claims of 30 day coverage, if the room remained unused for 30 days I'd go along with the claims however as soon as biological material is reintroduced those claims will fail.  

For a continual air purifying system we use UV technology, The science is now old hat & it is a safe process compared to O3 or ozone fogging. '

Edited by user 29 January 2021 16:41:30(UTC)  | Reason: typo

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2021 16:44:10(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Been in a similar situation myself.

I think the issue is that people feel that they need to be seen doing something and every so often a message comes down that if  we are not doing what we should be doing then we will all end in prison or something. There  is no coherent guidance from the centre about what we should be doing, and some people are taking advantage of this to peddle their products.

John Murray  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2021 17:45:58(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

pointless fogging of indoor space or even outdoors is old hat. the new snake oil is those arches that spray you as you pass through them.

I an just waiting for someone to promote the inoculating ability of crystals 

Or you could hang some garlic near the doors and windows....

John Murray  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2021 17:49:40(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Been in a similar situation myself.

I think the issue is that people feel that they need to be seen doing something and every so often a message comes down that if  we are not doing what we should be doing then we will all end in prison or something. There  is no coherent guidance from the centre about what we should be doing, and some people are taking advantage of this to peddle their products.

You definitely want to stay out of prison.

They've got a double-lockdown, no reasonable exercise, or any exercise.

And they're still dying by the dozens, and staff too.